4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 3:40 PM by ma_che62
ma_che62 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm trying to create a playable DVD that will be shown on flat-widescreen televisions of a slide show that was made in Photo To Movie.

In exporting that slideshow, P2M gives you a lot of choices.  I've been experimenting a little and it seems that for purposes of importing the slideshow into iDVD 6, using Apple Intermediate Codec produces slightly sharper images on the playable DVD and fewer jagged forms/edges, at least when compared to H.264.

I've been exporting using the AIC at dimensions of 852 X 480 but I've NOT checked the interlaced box in the QuickTime Compressions Settings screen.

This guy here not only checks the interlace box but he exports at the HD dimensions of 1280 X 720.  http://blog.progravix.com/?p=456

Any advice?  What are your thoughts? 

The objective is to use iDVD 6 to get a P2M slideshow into a playable DVD.

mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Klaus1 Level 8 (47,595 points)

Get PhotoToMovie to create a DV stream and import that into iMovie. Job done.

Once you have timed and arranged and manipulated the photos to your liking in Photo to Movie, it exports the file to iMovie  as a DV stream. You can add music in Photo to Movie, but I prefer doing this in iMovie where it is easier to edit. You can now further edit the slide show in iMovie just as you would a movie, including adding other video clips, then send it to iDVD, or Toast,  for burning.

• ma_che62 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Klaus,

This slideshow is actually going to be used as the background video to the menu of a DVD created in iDVD 6.

I infer from what you are saying that iDVD's "native format" is DV and not Apple Intermediate Codec or H.264 etc. 

Now that you mention it, of course that's the case. 

One can actually export directly from P2M to an "mov" file using the DV Widescreen codec.

If I've got the slideshow already edited and tweaked the way I want it in P2M, would exporting it to iMovie HD 6  as a DV result in any improvement in visual quality? 

It's the visual quality at this point that I'm concerned about.  Using AIC resulted in an improvement (fewer "jaggies") than H.264.  Perhaps DV Widescreen will be even better than AIC.

Many thanks again for responding!  It's guys like you that make this forum an incredibly helpful resource.

• Klaus1 Level 8 (47,595 points)

would exporting it to iMovie HD 6  as a DV result in any improvement in visual quality?

No, but it won't deteriorate it either! DV is uncompressed - compression does not happen until iDVD converts to the standard DVD format of mpeg2. The final result is as you as you can get it.

• ma_che62 Level 1 (0 points)

Very good.

I'll bring the slideshow into iDVD as a "DV" file, either through iMovie or through Photo to Movie...but always as a DV.

Thanks again!