Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Am I wasting my time?

Hello!

I am working on an Power Mac G5 (well 2 actually trying to get one working) the one i am most interested in running is liquid cooled but has no HDD. I got a HDD for in put it in and put a Mac OS 9 disk in the CD drive (starting low then planned to work up) but the problem is when I start the Mac it wont boot from the CD/DVD drive the drive spins up but the system wont access the cd (even when the HDD is unplugged) the screen just flashes the ? and =) folders. Am i doing something wrong? (The HDD can be accessed from another Mac with a firewire connection and has Mac OSX on it but the G5 wont read the HDD either) Is there a mother board failure? The system was $40 (mostly for the video card). Please help. Any assistance will be appreciated!

Thank You!

-B

PowerMac, No OS installed yet

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 11:21 AM

Hello B,

No G5 can boot from OS9 at all.

You'll need at least 10.4.6 for an LCS G5 I believe, black retail, not the 10.4.3 retail disc, or 10.5 Retail disc.

Any Gray Install Disc would have to be specific G5 Install Discs.

5 replies

Am I wasting my time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.