Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro keyboard covers

I purchased a thin clear keyboard cover for my macbook pro w/retina to protect wear and tear on the keys from oils and debris, but wasn't sure if this affects the health of my macbook. In the instructions that come with the macbook, it only says to not cover the keyboard, but does anyone know if using these thin covers affect ventilation or heating given that the new pro w/retina's have more side vents then the old macbooks w/o retina? I've been using it for 2 weeks and haven't noticed any residue one the display screen either from closing my macbook with the cover on.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 1:34 PM

A related article from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4384

Just keep liquids far away from the computer.

Mac is used in clamshell mode. So heat may not be the issue here.

Best.

8 replies

Dec 18, 2013 10:56 PM in response to lordchrono

Beware of keyboard covers and using same

Beware of using thick keyboard covers on your Macbook, some pretty ones sold online are rather thick and upon closing your monitor, touch the screen and transfer more finger/hand oil to the LCD but at worst press excessively on the LCD display, especially in the case of the Air and newest Macbook Pro Retina. There is ultimately very little purposeful use of these keyboard covers if you keep your hands clean, additionally they do not protect against spills as many people presume they do; directly yes, but at the edges no. They also making typing a more challenging experience and run a fine line between 'serves no purpose' and 'possibly damaging'.

they dont really serve any purpose 😊

Macbook pro keyboard covers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.