Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup VPN on Mac Server 10.7.5 with dyndns router service?

I don't know much about VPN so I may be way off. How do I set up VPN in the server application? I have a dyndns service in my router to get to my server via smb or afp. I don't want to pay for a VPN service either.

iMac, OS X Server

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 12:36 PM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2013 7:27 AM in response to appleexpert1

To run a public VPN server, you need to do the following:

1. Give the gateway either a static external address or a dynamic DNS name. The latter must be a DNS record on a public DNS registrar, not on the server itself. Also in the latter case, you must run a background process to keep the DNS record up to date when your IP address changes.

2. Give the VPN server a static address on the local network, and a hostname that is not in the top-level domain "local" (which is reserved for Bonjour.)

3. Forward external UDP ports 500, 1701, and 4500 (for L2TP) and TCP port 1723 (for PPTP) to the corresponding ports on the VPN server.

4. Configure any firewall in use to pass this traffic.

How to setup VPN on Mac Server 10.7.5 with dyndns router service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.