Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting processors for 2013 MP

I figured 6 or 8 cores since I do mostly photography, and getting into video eventually. Anyone w/ comments?

Also for the TB externals, I do not have any now, any suggestions? I am thinking of SSD's for externals via TB.

Thank you

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 3:59 PM

31 replies

Dec 18, 2013 4:56 PM in response to D3 Shooter

It depends on what software you are using.

Lightroom will most likely run best on 6-8 cores.

Photoshop will likely run best on 4-cores.

There's going to be a new Aperture tuned for the Mac Pro so who knows on that one.

Lloyd Chambers thinks the 6-core will be the sweet spot for photographers:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20131218_3-MacPro-CPU-choice.html

Adobe's official blog says:

Photoshop takes great advantage of 2-4 cores. 8 cores doesn’t give you anywhere near twice the performance of 4 on most operations in Photoshop

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/06/photoshop-cs6-the-need-for-speed. html

I'm going with the 6-core version.

Dec 18, 2013 5:09 PM in response to wpwood3

I was thinking the same, but with the higher level cache on the 8 core, I am contemplating it. I don't know the price difference between the 6 and 8 core, yet. I just think the 8 core will return more in the long run. I have not heard of any details on an upgrade for Aperture. I will note, Aperture utilizes a lot from the video card. Its a combo of everything, externals and connections and RAM.

Dec 19, 2013 9:22 AM in response to D3 Shooter

On paper, and these Geekbench results from the 6- and 8-core support this, it looks like you really can’t go wrong with any of the CPU options below the 12-core — the deciding factors should only be cost and how much parallelism you can take advantage of.

It looks like you’re paying a lot for slower clock speeds as the cores increase, but that’s not the entire story. Those weird Turbo Boost numbers, which are easy to pull from here and here, are worth understanding before choosing a modern Intel processor.

http://www.marco.org/2013/11/26/new-mac-pro-cpus

SSDs on TB you want to have TB2 / or use PCIe controller.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard177.html

Dec 19, 2013 10:11 AM in response to D3 Shooter

Well, I ordered my Mac Pro today. It will be used mostly for photography and will run Lightroom, Photoshop and Nikon View NX. I don't do any video.

Here's the system I ordered:

6-core

D500 graphics

512GB SSD

32GB RAM

AppleCare

I considered getting 64GB of RAM but, had to draw the line somewhere. Besides, OWC will give me $225 for my RAM if I later decide to upgrade.

Only OS X, my applications and Photoshop's scratch disk will reside on the SSD. All of my images, Lightroom catalog and documents will be on my Promise Pegasus2 R4.

I'm still undecided about which monitor I want. Originally, I had planned to get an NEC PA272W-BK-SV but some of the new 4K displays like the Dell UP2414Q look interesting. It may be Feb or Mar before my Mac Pro arrives so I have lots of time to look at monitors.

Dec 19, 2013 1:46 PM in response to wpwood3

From Crucial I got know that you can only use RAM modules of the same size in all 4 slots. Exchanging two 8GB for two 16GB while keeping two 8GB modules in the other remaining slots does not work according to them.

Which means that upgrading RAM is way less flexible than it has been and also way more expensive because you can't use previous smaller modules alongside the bigger ones.

RAM for the new Mac Pros is available from Crucial and OWC at this time.

Dec 19, 2013 2:54 PM in response to MarciaFunebre

From Crucial I got know that you can only use RAM modules of the same size in all 4 slots.

Since one configuration in the store is 12GB (three slots filled) Crucial as usual does not know what they are talking about. Crucial does not have a history of knowing anything about the computers they plug their memories into.

They have historically kept a database of what sales "stick" and what sales are returned, and used that as the basis for their recommendations. I would not trust a thing they said at this point -- they have no way of knowing these answers unless they have completely changed their business model overnight.

There are other suppliers who do indeed keep a lab full of Macintosh computers and plug their products into them with regularity, but Crucial is not on that list as far as I know.

Selecting processors for 2013 MP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.