Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do many of my apps not show the version number?

I'll get an email that this or that program of mine needs updating. However, when I go to see if it does, I can see no version number, both in the list in my Applications folder, and when I click on Info. This is incredibly frustrating, and I'd sure like to know why many apps do not reveal their version number??? I have the preferences to show Size & Version number, yet half of them at least, just don't show up in the folders...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 21.5in. ,3.2 GHz i3, 12GB Ram,

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 6:11 PM

3 replies

Dec 18, 2013 6:34 PM in response to Saxman

You can try opening the application, in the menu bar click the "applications name", then from that drop down menu click About "name" of application it should have the version there. Safari example shown here.

I opened Safari, Clicked on Safari in the menu bar, clicked About Safari.

User uploaded file

I've not come access an application that this info is not in this location.

Update alerts should not be coming from emails, they should come when you launch an application, or better still usually under Help in the menu bar there is a check for updates.

You can also go to the developers site and check for updates, almost all have this feature. An update notification via email should be a red flag, don't click on it it, write down what the application is and what version you are supposed to update to, then check the version that you are running as explained above, or the developers site.

These emails could be some kind of phising/malware, or other nefarious thing . NEVER click on any POP-UP update.

Dec 19, 2013 1:02 AM in response to sanjampet

Thanks sanjampet, but I know all that... I shouldn't have to open every program I have, simply to see what is supposed to be right there in its finder listing. This is a glitch on Apple's part, and I thought there might possibly be some way to better ensure the view preferences actually work, and I see what is supposed to be listed.

As for the emails, I get update emails from my MacUpDate program, which informs me whenever any of my apps has been updated, they are not pop ups, nor nefarious... I do like to quickly and easily, check to see if in fact the program I have installed isn't already the most up to date version.

Why do many of my apps not show the version number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.