Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages won't save my picture?

The other day I had to sign out and sign back in to iCloud on my Mac due to an issue I was having. Ever since, Messages has been unable to save my avatar when it's quit; I can change it back using Messages > Change my picture in the menu bar but when the app is quit and opened again the picture's lost. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 5:56 PM

2 replies

Dec 19, 2013 1:32 PM in response to samplane123

HI,

If you only have the iMessages and Bonjour account in the Messages > Preferences > Accounts and the Bonjour one is not active then the pic tends not to stick.

Basically in iMessages only those iMessages to other Macs are likely to send pics.

Your own iMessages to yourself from your iPhone will take the pic from your Address Card (Contacts app > My Card) rather than the one you use in Messages.

If you enable the Bonjour accounts then the Messages Menu > Change my Pic will tend to work permanently.

It is also easier to use the pic in the Buddy list (if displayed) to change the pic.

Once the pic has been changed you can hide the Buddy list (it will remain hidden across app launches)

User uploaded file
9:32 pm Thursday; December 19, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages won't save my picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.