Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plan vs. prepaid for iPhone?

I still have a regular phone on the Verizon network and would love to get an iPhone.

I have read articles on the web that state that it's better to get a prepaid plan for the iPhone.

What's your take on this?

I'm interested in good voice quality and reliable connection.

I know my current provider, Verizon, is very good, but even the most modest plan for the iPhone is at $120 per month if you include the fees.

My questions in detail:

1. Is there a prepaid provider that uses major networks and give good voice quality and data speed - or is it always worse than with a regular plan.

2. Is buying an iPhone and getting a prepaid plan really a good idea financially?

3. Some people recommend getting a 2 year contract, and then unlock the iPhone. But a 2 year old iPhone - how long can you use an iPHone before it feels old?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 12:16 AM

You need to be a little careful here with the iPhone, because if you get an iPhone on a pre-paid plan, then it is the difference between getting the GSM version of the phone and the CDMA version of the phone.

So if you go for a provider such as T-Mobile with their sim card, you would need to get a GSM phone and also, if you were to sign a 2 year contract, with a company such as AT&T, then you are looking at getting a GSM phone too.

If you were to stay with Verizon and get an iPhone through them, then you would need to get the Verizon phone via the Apple store directly or go to Verizon themselves and buy one of their phones and once you do, that is it. The Verizon phone is a CDMA phone, but does come with an unlocked sim card tray so that you can use the phone for travelling, so if you were to visit say Europe, you can put in any local sim card into the sim tray and your phone will work there and pick up the local gsm networks. Once you returned to the US, then you take the sim card out and go back to using Verizon.

If you get the phone on Verizon, what you need to realise is that you can then never use that phone on another network in the US - you need to stick with Verizon, or you will need to get a new phone if you ever want to use T-Mobile or AT&T, as they are GSM providers.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 12:16 AM in response to Ocean 17

You need to be a little careful here with the iPhone, because if you get an iPhone on a pre-paid plan, then it is the difference between getting the GSM version of the phone and the CDMA version of the phone.

So if you go for a provider such as T-Mobile with their sim card, you would need to get a GSM phone and also, if you were to sign a 2 year contract, with a company such as AT&T, then you are looking at getting a GSM phone too.

If you were to stay with Verizon and get an iPhone through them, then you would need to get the Verizon phone via the Apple store directly or go to Verizon themselves and buy one of their phones and once you do, that is it. The Verizon phone is a CDMA phone, but does come with an unlocked sim card tray so that you can use the phone for travelling, so if you were to visit say Europe, you can put in any local sim card into the sim tray and your phone will work there and pick up the local gsm networks. Once you returned to the US, then you take the sim card out and go back to using Verizon.

If you get the phone on Verizon, what you need to realise is that you can then never use that phone on another network in the US - you need to stick with Verizon, or you will need to get a new phone if you ever want to use T-Mobile or AT&T, as they are GSM providers.

Dec 18, 2013 9:38 PM in response to Ocean 17

Ocean 17 wrote:

I know my current provider, Verizon, is very good, but even the most modest plan for the iPhone is at $120 per month if you include the fees.

This sounds completely wrong. Maybe the first month comes to a price like this, but it has start-up costs. I strongly suggest talking to someone from Verizon and learning about their on-contract pricing.

UPDATE - Of course, I assume you are talking about one iPhone for one person on the contract.

Message was edited by: sberman

Dec 19, 2013 12:24 AM in response to Ethmoid

Is CDMA better, or GSM?

The only difference I know so far is that you can't make a voice call AND look up something on a map when on a CDMA phone - that's only possible with GSM.

Also, I'm using my phone for business, so I don't want to skimp on quality.

This is why I'd like to know if a prepaid plan gives you a lesser experience using the phone than a regular contract with Verizon or Sprint or AT &T.

There are also other providers who use the big networks like Tracphone. Are those good to use or are they just cheap versions with a reduced reliability?

Plan vs. prepaid for iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.