Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I convert a MPG to an MOV file?

Just trying to convert MPG files to iMovie. I tried a couple of sites on the internet and it seems most are saying to download file converter? IF I have to, what one is easy/reliable? I'd rather not pay $$$ for one, but if I have to, I will....

Thanks!

iMovie '11

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2013 10:38 PM

The .mov file format is just a container that can hold .mpg and other format types. To make one, install QuickTime 7 and open the .mpg file with it. Then save the opened file as a "self-contained" movie, and the result will be a .mov file.

3 replies

Jun 26, 2017 6:57 PM in response to Wise Hair

Have you ever tried reviewstown video converter? It's a free web-based application to convert video, you don't have to download or install anything. I always use it to convert my camera MPG video to MOV video for editing in iMovie, works pretty well. If you are interested in it, here are the steps to convert video.

1. Launch your web browser and go to Reviewstown Online Video Converter, you can google search for it.
  2. Click ‘select files to start’, and then drag and drop your MPG video into the app.
  3. Click the Format drop down list, select MOV as output format.
  4. Click the Convert button, the App will ask you where to save the converted file.
  5. Click Start the run the conversion, it will take a few minutes to finish the task. When the conversion done, you will find the converted file in the folder you set in step 4. Done.

how do I convert a MPG to an MOV file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.