Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks updates installed, only to get new disastrous problems with mail

I have installed the updates for Mavericks 10.9.1. Now when using Mail, undisclosed recipient addresses are revealed. I have triple checked to ensure that the relevant addressing box in Preferences is not checked. These mail bugs are worse than anything ever experienced in Windows. What's going on, and how do I send email to multiple recipients as before, but without disclosing their emial addresses?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 2:02 AM

43 replies

Dec 31, 2013 2:41 PM in response to BG29

Having the same problem. This is making me look like a fool and really rather embarrassing especially when sending to groups of clients. This makes the groups function useless!

I've tries making new "test" groups with only 3-4 recipients - everything looks OK when I send only to see ALL recips are visible. I'm going to try hiding everyone in BCC.

Jan 16, 2014 4:18 PM in response to jimbo60640

This problem still has not been fixed and I can't help but say it's a catastrophe. Very very disappointed with Apple's complete disregard to date for this major dysfunctionality affecting confidentiality in Mavericks Mail.

The problem is simple - if you're foolish enough to save a draft mail message, then an undisclosed recipient list DOES NOT STAY UNDISCLOSED. Instead, the addresses are all displayed, even though the settings for an Undisclosed list are correct (see below). It all worked fine prior to Mavericks. Now - it's bust.

For a group address, choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, then deselect “When sending to a group, show all member addresses.”Recipients see “Undisclosed-recipients” in the To field.

And yes, thanks jimbo60640, we can use Bcc as an alternative, but that's a poor substitute for the real thing which STILL DOES NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED and does not work as it did under OS X.

I'm new to Apple/iMac/Mail/OS X/ Mavericks. How on earth do we get this feedbck to Apple and get them to fix this??? Anyone?

Mavericks by name; Mavericks by nature.

Stack of other problems with Mavericks that also haven't been fixed. Crash test dummies it would seem.

Jan 16, 2014 4:32 PM in response to BG29

And yes, thanks jimbo60640, we can use Bcc as an alternative, but that's a poor substitute for the real thing which STILL DOES NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED and does not work as it did under OS X.

I always thought that was the real thing. Apple's attempt to create some sort of other function that is not email standard would seem to be the unreal thing.

I'm new to Apple/iMac/Mail/OS X/ Mavericks. How on earth do we get this feedbck to Apple and get them to fix this??? Anyone?

There is a command in the Mail menu to send feedback to Apple.

Jan 20, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

Then rather than complaining to other Apple users try telling Apple, here: Apple.com/feedback.

Fair comment Csound1. But I understand Mustang8891's frustration. The complete failure of undisclosed recipient lists introduced with the Mavericks upgrade is a catastrophe for those who need undisclosed lists. Moreover the problem has been reported but still has not been fixed. Other bugs going back to the original Mavericks release that I have reported have also not been fixed. Not one of them. After many years as a Windows user I switched entirely to Apple in March last year. The fanboys assured me everything with Apple works. Yet this is far worse than anything I ever experienced in the past and the lack of responsiveness from Apple is utterly mystifying.

Jan 20, 2014 4:32 PM in response to Mustang8891

What email filters block BCC messages? I'm sure you could create such a filter, but I'm not aware of any email client that would by default block a message because you were BCC'ed. AFAIK, BCC'ing is the standard way to hide recipient names and email addresses.

According to the Mail Help Center, in Mail Preferences, if Composing/"When sending to a group, show all member addresses" is not checked, messages to a group should show "Undisclosed-recipients" in the To field. I gather from this discussion, that it no longer works in Mavericks, so should be fixed.

Jan 20, 2014 4:42 PM in response to BG29

BG29, Welcome to the Discussions.

1st I would make sure that you have updated your Mail.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6030

Next I would make sure that you have your Mail confiqured correctly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1277

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5312

I know that these links can sometimes be a pain, but I am sure they will help you solve your issues if you will take your time and read them carefully.

Good Luck

Don

Jan 20, 2014 5:49 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thanks Don for the feedback.

I'm running OS X 10.9.1 and Mail 7.1 (1827) on an iMac (2012). According to Software Update, no further updates are available. Am not aware of any problem with Mail configuration. The issue is that Undisclosed Recipient lists worked fine under Mountain Lion and as far as I recall under the initial release of Mavericks. I only noticed a problem with the Mavericks update 10.9.1.The Undisclosed Recipients function no longer works. The box to disclose recipients remainss unchecked in my settings (that's also the default), yet two things happen in practice:

1. When you send to an undisclosed recipient list, the addresses are disclosed even if the appropriate settings box is unchecked to prevent this

2. If you save a message prior to sending, the addresses are immmediately disclosed in the To field and, of course, remain disclosed when you send.

In my view it demands an urgent fix as it destroys confidentialty of a recipient list, contrary to the way Mail is said to work. And I'm speaking from experience as first time round I was caught out unawares. I have reported the problem to Apple, but nothing has changed. Nor has anything been fixed on the other bugs that I still experience even after the Mavericks and Mail updates have been installed.

And with due respect to Barney-15E, I don't see the point of discussing the merits or otherwise of Undisclosed lists vs Bcc. Mail claims to offer the functionality of an Undisclosed Recipient list and I wish to use that functionality. And I did so quite successfully until the Mavericks upgrade came along. Now it no longer works - it's stuffed and needs to be fixed.

Mavericks by name; Mavericks by nature.

May 1, 2014 8:44 AM in response to BG29

WARNING, this bug has NOT BEEN FIXED.

I made a fool of myself yesterday because I didn't know this was an issue with Maverick. Did the update the other night, sent out a group mail as usual and now have lots of folks really angry with me for revealing their addresses.

DOUBLE-CHECKED to make sure that the box was still UNchecked in "Composing" under Preferences - the one that says "when sending to a group show all member addresses.

So apparently Apple has ignored the suggestions over the past months. I'm going to use the BBC for now.

Mavericks updates installed, only to get new disastrous problems with mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.