Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X 10.0.5 can't import large audio files

Hello,

I tried before the update (worked) and after (did not work): importing large audio files. Whether by dragging them in or by selecting file in dialog, Logic processes a few seconds with a progress bar (which is good, had no bar before) than says the source file could not be read. I tried to import MP3 files with 192 kbit/s of about an hour and a half playtime. Files can be copied in finder and copies don't import either, so I guess it's not a problem with the file system.

Any one else experiencing this?

Greetings, Saphired

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:42 AM

13 replies

Dec 22, 2013 10:37 AM in response to Saphired

Yes, Saphired, I just hit this same problem. It's a type of editing task I do every week, and it's worked fine all year. But the first time I tried it after updating to 10.0.5, I got the same error you did: a progress bar for "Importing large audio file" (but not showing any actual progress), followed by an error after maybe four seconds, "Could not open source file." The file I'm trying to import is a 55.2M mp3. I get the same result whether I drag-and-drop or use File -> Import -> Audio File... from the menu.

Dec 22, 2013 11:40 AM in response to Saphired

This workaround works for me: I first convert the mp3 to an m4a, then import that file into Logic. (To do the conversion, I used the QuickTime Player; I opened my mp3 with that and choose File -> Export -> Audio Only... .) The m4a is larger by far than the original mp3 -- so it seems to be the mp3-ness rather than the file size that triggers this particular defect.

Hope that helps, TalesPodcast. And even though this workaround is working for me, I certainly agree that this bug should be fixed!

Dec 22, 2013 11:46 AM in response to Fool Of God

Fool Of God, thanks much! I will give this a try. Man, if it's not one thing it's another! I love Apple, but if they keep breaking things, they're going to help Microsoft! 🙂

**UPDATE** This work-around did work for me as well, and you're right Fool Of God, makes NO sense at all. The M4A file is 83 MB while the MP3 is only 63. So it has to be a glitch with importing MP3's of any size. Seems that 50MB is the limit. Thanks again, you saved my day!

Logic Pro X 10.0.5 can't import large audio files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.