It sounds like you would like to update your iTunes version but something is stopping it. I was thinking it is possible that iTunes is being blocked by either the Firewall on your computer or other security software. Try out these steps to add iTunes to your Firewall settings, and try disabling security software temporarily to test the update process.
How to enable iTunes in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 firewall
To make sure that the firewall isn't blocking iTunes, follow these steps:
- From the File Explorer window, choose Control Panel from the panel on the left.
- Click System and Security and click Windows Firewall.
Note: In the Icons View of Control Panel, click Windows Firewall.
- Click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall."
- In the Allowed Programs and Features window, choose Change Settings.
- Make sure that iTunes is selected for private and public networks.
- If iTunes isn't listed, click "Allow another program," click Browse, and go to the iTunes program, which is usually in C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.
Note: For 64-bit editions of Windows, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.
- Select iTunes and click Open.
Note: iTunes may also appear as iTunes.exe.
- Click Add in the Add a Program window.
- Click OK in the Allowed Programs window.
- Close the Windows Firewall window.
If the issue persists, I would try uninstalling iTunes from your computer and then re install after downloading it from this website:
To uninstall iTunes:
Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.