Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB3 Harddrive does not mount

USB3 drive will not mount. I have a SATA WD Green 2TB bare drive. It has been tried in 3 different USB3 enclosures the latest being an OWC. The drive works fine if downgraded using a USB2 cable but refuses to mount with USB3. I have tried 2 different USB3 cables thinking that it might be the cable but no joy. Yes my iMac is USB3 28" late 2012 The enclosure comes with a power brick (not usb powered.. Apple support suggested that the drive may be too slow to support USB3 (I think thats apple speak for we don't know) I have an appt at genius bar friday maybe we can try a different drive and see if it works. If not apple needs to fix their USB implementation.Anyone have any other suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), ipad , atv2, TC AE iphone4s

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 8:16 AM

2 replies

Dec 19, 2013 10:45 AM in response to rkaufmann87

There is no WD software on drive just a bare drive presently in a OWC enclosure. I don't think it is a drive problem as the thing runs fine (at a slower speed) with a USB2 cable. We will find out tomorrow if it is the drive when I visit the genius bar with my stuff. It's got to be the drive or Mac as I can't fathom having 3 bad different enclosures in a row..

USB3 Harddrive does not mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.