Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

compressor and x264

I have just purchased Compressor 4.1 and would like to use x264 for compression. I've downloaded the plug-in and followed the install instructions but I have not been able to get it working. I've been placing the plug in inside /library/quicktime . When I restart the app and go back into Compressor it still does not appear as an option in the Quicktime Export drop down menus. Any thoughts on what is happening?

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 7:21 PM

Hi,

Adding the x264 Component to your system does not add an obvious reference to x264 as an encoding choice. What you need to do is ...

Create a new Setting. In the drop down dialog - go Format/Quicktime Movie.

Next make sure that you have the Inspector in Compressor exposed (Window/Show Inspector).

Select your new Setting - and press the Video button up top in the Inspector. Just about half-way down, you will see this:

User uploaded file

Press the Change button. The Quicktime Settings dialog appears.

Now, up top in the popup menu - "Compression Type" , scroll down to x264Encoder. After doing so you will be able to define basic settings. You can then press the Options button to open the x264Encoder's Advanced Options.

That's about it. Now you have a custom setting that uses the x264Encoder. You can continue to duplicate this Setting and then edit/rename it to create additional customized settings.

-paul.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 7:21 PM in response to JGoodnough

Hi,

Adding the x264 Component to your system does not add an obvious reference to x264 as an encoding choice. What you need to do is ...

Create a new Setting. In the drop down dialog - go Format/Quicktime Movie.

Next make sure that you have the Inspector in Compressor exposed (Window/Show Inspector).

Select your new Setting - and press the Video button up top in the Inspector. Just about half-way down, you will see this:

User uploaded file

Press the Change button. The Quicktime Settings dialog appears.

Now, up top in the popup menu - "Compression Type" , scroll down to x264Encoder. After doing so you will be able to define basic settings. You can then press the Options button to open the x264Encoder's Advanced Options.

That's about it. Now you have a custom setting that uses the x264Encoder. You can continue to duplicate this Setting and then edit/rename it to create additional customized settings.

-paul.

compressor and x264

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.