Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Renamed Folder Alias

I am using OS X ML 10.8.5 on my 17" MacBook Pro.

I have noticed a problem when I …

1) create an alias to a folder

2) move that alias to a different folder,

3) rename the alias to remove the " alias" (or any renaming at all).

The next time that I reboot or relaunch Finder, then Finder is unable to find the original folder. If I then fix the alias, it is fixed from that time forward, regardless how many times that I reboot or relaunch Finder. Here are the steps that I used to display the problem and fix it …

In Finder …

1) Create a folder in your home directory called dummy. If desired copy any file into it.

2) <control>click on dummy and select "Make alias".

3) Drag "dummy alias" to another folder, such as "Desktop".

4) In the Desktop folder, rename "dummy alias" to "dummy".

On the Dock ...

5) <control><option>click on the Finder icon and select "Relaunch".

In Finder …

6) In the Desktop folder, click on the alias "dummy". The folder's contents do not appear, just a folder icon, along with Name, Kind, Size, Created, Modified, and Last Opened.

7) In the Desktop folder, double click on the alias "dummy", and an error message appears:

The alias "Dummy" can't be opened because the original item can't be found.

You are given an option to "Delete Alias", "Fix Alias…" or "OK". Click on "Fix Alias…"

8) In the "Select New Original" dialog, select "Dummy" in the home folder and click "Open".

9) Verify that this permanently fixes the problem by:

a) repeating step 5 to relaunch Finder.

b) repeating step 6 to verify that the dummy alias actually opens the dummy folder.

Both the move and rename to have the original file's name (dummy in this exanple) must be done for the error to occur.

If I rename the alias in its original folder (home in this example), then the problem does not occur.

After moving it, if i rename "dummy alias" to something else other than just "dummy", such as "dummy xxxx" or "xxxx", then the problem does not occur.

What is going on here?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 17in mid 2010

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 9:36 AM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2013 9:43 AM in response to BevInTX

I made an error when editing. Under the 1st 3), I said ...

3) rename the alias to remove the " alias" (or any renaming at all).

The next time that I reboot or relaunch Finder, then Finder is unable to find the original folder. ...

Please remove the "(or any renaming at all)". For the error to occur, you must just remove the " alias" from the alias' name.

Problem with Renamed Folder Alias

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.