Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a disk image that fails to mount.

I made a back up of my entire Hard Drive just before I updated to mavericks. For reasons I wont' go into, the original hard drive is now completely bricked and replaced with random data. I still have the disk image, and it is on an external drive. BUT when I try to restore the image to a drive using Disk Utility, and it scans it, the scan fails. I cannot upload the image as it is 196GB. Is there any way I can recover it as it is the only backup of all my data?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar Simpson

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 9:40 AM

6 replies

Dec 23, 2013 3:57 PM in response to TheSimpZone1

• Restoring from a disk image - backing up to Disk Images or other Macs on your network - KB:

http://help.bombich.com/kb/dmg-and-remote/restoring-from-a-disk-image

There may be some ideas, perhaps belated after the fact you already have a .dmg which may have issues built into it, and no original to go back to get another. And magnetically wiped hard disk drive with the magnetic platters totally toasted.

restore data from mac .dmg file:

https://www.google.com/#q=restore+data+from+mac.dmg+file

Hope this helps somewhat.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Dec 25, 2013 4:07 PM in response to TheSimpZone1

When a .dmg is already created, sometimes any issue or damage saved within it can't be of help. The original is has more opportunity when still available, to try & access or save information. A disk image or similar file is not as readily accessed or handled.

Was there any helpful ideas elsewhere on the bombich CCC pages?

I've used carbon copy cloner for several years & across various OSX.

But had no reason to attempt/use it with a disk image or .dmg so far.

Maybe someone with more experience in that aspect can offer help.

Some of the search results in google page had other ideas.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

I have a disk image that fails to mount.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.