Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What software will convert .MTS files to something that will open in Final Cut Express?

I need a reccomendation for a software that will convert .MTS file to a file type that Final Cut Express HD will recognize.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2X.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xenon, 6 GB 667 MHz DDR@ FB-DIMM

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 1:55 AM

Streamclip from Squared 5.

Al

9 replies

Jun 16, 2014 6:33 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks for your reply, Martin.

What I'm doing is converting an .MTS file to .mp4 using HandBrake. FinalCut Express opens the .mp4 files (sometimes) but they have pixellation with huge squares all over the screen. I'm guessing it has to do with keyframes. So that's why I'm trying to convert it. When I open the .mp4 file in QuickTime in order to Export as QuickTime Movie I select these options for AIC:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

This is what the QT Inspector window shows for each:

mp4 filemov file
FormatMPEG-4(Perian), 1920x1080, MIllions, AAC, Stereo (LR), 48,000 kHz16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (LR), 48,000 kHz, Apple Intermediate Codec, 1440x1080 (1888x1062), Millions
FPS29.9730.33
Normal Size1920 x 1080 pixels1888x1062 pixels

The problem is, I'm only guessing which settings to use. Is there information somewhere that spells that out? Should I be doing something different when I convert the .MTS file in the first place?

Jun 16, 2014 8:36 PM in response to Scott Kopp

I think the problem is actually with Handbrake, compounded by then using QT to do a second conversion. Perian also seems to be involved.

What is the source of your MTS files? A camcorder? What make/model and what settings did you use when you shot the video?

Try using MPEG Streamclip or Clipwrap to convert an MTS file directly to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec. If your source clips (the MTS files) are 1920x1080i @ 29.97fps then convert them to QT/AIC 1920x1080i60. Do this with one clip as a test first.

Jun 17, 2014 6:51 AM in response to MartinR

That sounds logical. The files come from a Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder. There are so many record settings it's overwhelming, but there doesn't appear to be any for file format. So, whatever it saves natively. I tried MPEG Streamclip but that didn't like the files. I've been looking at Clipwrap and a few others as a possible solution for converting many video file formats.

Thanks for the help!

Jun 17, 2014 9:52 AM in response to Scott Kopp

Well, it's very important to know the characteristics of the video you shoot. Final Cut Express was only designed to work with certain codecs & formats and your camcorder can shoot way more types of video than the few that are compatible with Final Cut Express. You really need to know how you shot your video in order to best determine how to convert it for use in FCE.

Your HC-X900M's specs are here and the only combination that's directly compatible with FCE is AVCHD/[2D] MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264/1080_60i (HA, HG, HX, HE) ... and even that would need to be converted unless you directly import it into FCE from your camcorder.

You really would be a lot better off using Final Cut Pro X. Remember, FCE is old and was discontinued 3 years ago.

Jun 17, 2014 10:52 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks so much for your help, Martin! Yeah, I use FCE because that's what I have. I just finished a big project & I need to do 1 more before I can take on learning a whole new program: FCP. But I've been thinking about it.

The reason I'm asking about this at this moment is, I have several videos from this camera. And they're a mix of those different recording types taken at different times. It's a good camera but not very intuitive when it comes to navigating all of the functions (recording, storage, playback, etc). I just want to bring them into FCE to put them together.

Do you have any feel for Clipwrap vs. Aimersoft Video Converter vs. converters from Anymp4.com? Or any others?

What software will convert .MTS files to something that will open in Final Cut Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.