Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to the internet: Mac finds ethernet, Network Connections Diagnostic says it's connected, yet no internet connection through Safari, Software Update etc

Hi,

I'm renovating an old mac for a friend, and I'm having problems connecting to the internet properly.

It is a Power Mac 3.6, and it's running Mac OS X 10.4.7.

I currently have an ethernet lead connected into the back of it, and I believe it has no wireless adapter. The Network Diagnostics Tool picks the ethernet up and says it should be working fine, also the mac has automatically acquired the day/time and can also show nearby devices (not sure how that is possible without some sort of wireless capability). Yet when I run Software Update, it says "A networking error has occured: timed out (-1001)". Similar problems arise when trying to browse on Safari or Opera, claiming "the server stopped responding" whenever I try an address. It seems to be that anything that wants to connect to the internet, other than Network Diagnostics and the clock, can't.

The ethernet lead seems to be fine, and does work (tested on a different device). The internet is functioning as normal and no devices connected to the router are having any connectivity issues.

Any help sorting this would be great,

Thanks!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 10:46 AM

Hello,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

10.4 instructions...

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations.

Put these in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers:, for that Interface...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 10:46 AM in response to CaptainAdmiral

Hello,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

10.4 instructions...

Is that Interface dragged to the top of Network>Show:>Network Port Configurations.

Put these in Network>TCP/IP>DNS Servers:, for that Interface...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

Connecting to the internet: Mac finds ethernet, Network Connections Diagnostic says it's connected, yet no internet connection through Safari, Software Update etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.