Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 7 on an External Thunderbolt SSD

I have an iMac 21,5" late 2012.

I want to install Windows 7 Professional Bootcamp on an External Thunderbolt SSD (Basic NTFS partition).

I tried the normal Bootcamp installation Guide but it wouldnt let me install on the external SSD drive.

I also tried using this guide http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-m ust-read/

But didnt work, probably because it's not for Mac users + not Thunderbolt.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you for reply!

Best Regards

Jonas

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), Windows 7

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:02 AM

14 replies

Dec 19, 2013 12:39 PM in response to JonDfox

Those third-party guides assume you are already using Windows. They may not work on the Mac unless you first install Windows using Boot Camp, then run Windows and do the external installation from the Windows system. Just a thought. And, there are many such guides not all of which will work.

Wish I could direct you to something proven, but I have not done this myself.

Dec 19, 2013 1:27 PM in response to Kappy

yeah thats what I tried with this guide, as I already have windows installed on the iMac but on the internal fusion drive (that doesnt work properly in Windows).

Thats why I want external SSDs booting windows when I edit videos (all my softwares are windows based).

Im gonna try a couple of more things, as I always say "there's gotta be a way!* hehe.

Ill be sure to post here IF I find a solution.

Installing Windows 7 on an External Thunderbolt SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.