Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

X11 & NetWare Console

I'm dealing with a NetWare 5x server solution (don't ask why in 2013! 😝) and the console on the server runs on X11 and I've read elsewheres that its possible to remotely access the GUI manager thru X11 because its the GUI shell.

How can I access this with my X11 client on my MacBook? I have a general knowlege, but not working knowlege of X11.

TIA!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:09 AM

2 replies

Dec 19, 2013 8:58 PM in response to stevena1

can you ssh into the NetWare server?

ssh -Y username@netware.server.address

now start the GUI manager and it should send the display back to your Mac over the ssh -Y established X11 tunnel.

That would be the easy way.

The hard way is to look into the xauth command to allow remote systems to make unsolicited connections to your Mac.

You still need to get the NetWare server to start the GUI. Maybe you can use the telnet command (or maybe rlogin) to connect. Then you have to tell the NetWare send the display. I assume you can setup a DISPLAY environment variable on the NetWare server or maybe the GUI manager has a command line option that specifies the display server. But if ssh is not supported, you will have had to use xauth on your Mac before trying to get NetWare to send its display back to the Mac.

X11 & NetWare Console

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.