Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Numbers be programmed to determine between a percentage and a plain number?

I have an invoicing spreadsheet I work with. Sometimes price is determined by a percentage over cost, sometimes it's just a straight number. I have the following setup:

Our cost Percentage Cost to customer
number percentage Our cost x percentage
100 15% 115
200 225 225

I would like the 'cost to customer' column to recognize whether the number in the percentage column is actually a percentage or if it's a number without a % symbol in that cell, so when I don't want to calculate cost by percentage, I can just enter a straight number there and have that amount entered in the 'cost to customer' cell (as illustrated above). Is that possible? Thanks for your help!

Tony

iWork Numbers-OTHER

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:20 AM

8 replies

Dec 19, 2013 12:15 PM in response to shineykid

wouldn't it be more straightforward (in my humble opinion) to be consistent with the use of the cell?

If you do not want to inflate (or deflate) a cost by a percent just enter the percent in the "Percentage" column and leave the "Fixed Price" column empty. If you want to override the percentage enter a value in the "Fixed Price" column.

User uploaded file

D3=IF(ISBLANK(C3), A3×(1+B3÷100), C3)

Dec 19, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi Wayne, I think I'm entering something wrong - your formula works if I have something in the Fixed Price column, but not if it's empty. My columns are called Cost, Percentage, Fixed Price, and Price (Price being the cell that the formula is being entered in). What's wrong with this?

=IF(ISBLANK(Fixed Price), Cost*(1+Percentage,÷100),Fixed Price)

I get an error message saying "this formula contains a list where a single argument is expected." Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Can Numbers be programmed to determine between a percentage and a plain number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.