Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi - I have a macbook pro that has a stuck shift key.

This is causing a myriad of issues. I need to go the apple store but that is a four hour drive for me. I read somewhere that I could disable the shift key from the onscreen keyboard. However I cannot seem to activate that. Then I downloaded a keyboard but need to enter my password to install it. I also read that I need to change my password to all caps but can't do that without entering my old password. Help!

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:18 AM

8 replies

Dec 20, 2013 2:06 AM in response to Melophage

Thanks to both of you. Let me see where to begin.....

I dug out my old usb keyboard. It does indeed bypass the stuck key. Ungainly but yippee!!!!

I will try the PRAM & SMC as soon as I am back near wireless later today. And I can figure out how to.

I must have described the situation poorly. The key is stuck on not off. I am embarassed to say how long it took me to figure that out. So -

My computer reboots into safe mode.

My password to the my computer won't work. Actually none of my passwords to anything anywhere will work.

Dec 19, 2013 9:10 PM in response to agmss0531

agmss0531,

as a temporary measure, couldn’t you use the other unstuck Shift key for when you need to enter shifted characters?

To my knowledge, the Keyboard Viewer does not allow Shift keys to be disabled. Perhaps you were thinking of something in the Accessibility pane of System Preferences, such as Sticky Keys, which allows modifier keys to be applied without having to hold the modifier key down simultaneously with the key that it affects? (For example, Sticky Keys would allow an asterisk to be typed by pressing a Shift key, releasing the pressed Shift key, and then pressing the 8 key, rather than pressing a Shift key and the 8 key simultaneously.)

Why is it that you need to change your password to all caps?

Dec 20, 2013 2:26 AM in response to agmss0531

When I am online and I click on a link - it gets added to my reading list rather than opening. So I open each link in a new window. Cumbersome.

Opening files and folders on my computer is also a PIA.

Anyway I read about some work arounds ie. the onscreen keyboard and changing my password. I had to change my apple id and password to get on this site. Apple wouldn't let me without numbers and lower case.... So I did it from my dumb smart phone which is a problem for a different forum..

Dec 20, 2013 4:11 AM in response to agmss0531

I think you will find both resets to be pretty straightforward and unintimidating.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

Apr 30, 2014 4:37 AM in response to agmss0531

I think this is a software issue. I'm having the same problem with the Shift+Command key combo. When I log in, it accepts my password without a problem (and if I hold shift+command and type the password it beeps implying that they are not stuck on the login screen). And if I plug in an external keyboard it has the same problem.

I've tried both resets. Any more ideas?

Apr 30, 2014 7:24 AM in response to agmss0531

Solved! (My) Solution:

After having done the SMC and PRAM reset several times in vain...

- Shut down completely, remove power

- Eat nice lunch, don't stress

- Take short nap

- Plug in power, do the SMC reset

- On Boot do the PRAM reset

...except I accidently did Ctrl+Cmd+P+R instead of Option+Cmd+P+R. I don't think it did the reset but I ended up at the pre-boot utility OSX screen. Actually, IIRC, holding down "Ctrl" on boot gets you into that utility screen...

- Run Disk Utility and then do "disk permission repair" and "disk repair"

- Exit Disk Utility and then exist the OSX repair utility and it should ask you to select the boot disk again. Reboot and celebrate...

Hi - I have a macbook pro that has a stuck shift key.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.