Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" MacBook Pro 2012 Not Recognising USB Devices on OSX 10.9.1

Hello,

Since updating to OSX 10.9.1, one of the USB ports of my MacBook is not always recognising devices (external HDDs and Logitech Unifying Receiver), often when the other port is used.

User uploaded file

It is the port on the right. First I noticed this problem with the Logitech Unifying Receiver, I thought perhaps it is because of the driver, but today I had to plug in my external HDD several times to get recognised and mounted. When not recognised, the Logitech Unifying receiver is not even listed in System Information, and HDDs are not listed in Disk Utility.

I had no issue with using both USB ports prior to OSX 10.9.1.

Anyone else is facing this problem?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), (9,2) 2.9GHz i7, 8GB, 480GB SSD

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 12:19 PM

9 replies

Dec 21, 2013 2:28 PM in response to AMDeeb

Hi AMDeeb,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

If USB devices are not being recognized reliably by your MacBook Pro, start with resetting the NVRAM:

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
    You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

You can find more information about this troubleshooting step here:

About NVRAM and PRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Best,

Jeremy

Dec 24, 2013 1:53 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy,

The issues with external HDDs is now solved.

I still faced interruptions and flickering with mouse. I removed the driver and it is working fine now (but can't customise its buttons nor check the battery status..). So it looks like it is indeed because of the driver.

I'll contact Logitech about this matter and I hope that solve it soon.

Dec 24, 2013 11:30 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hello Jeremy,

I have an update on my problem with the Logitech mouse.

It truned out that the problem with flickering and interruptions has been solved after removing the special driver (Logitech Control Center), however, my Mac is still no recongnising the receiver (and eventually the mouse) if the port on the left is already being used by a USB2.0 or USB3.0 external HDD. I have contacted Logitech, they told me to try the previous version of the driver, but the problem with not recognising remained.

Therefore, it seems that the problem is from Apple's side not a from 3rd party company.

Please let me know what I can do now.

Thank you.

Dec 24, 2013 1:15 PM in response to LowLuster

LowLuster wrote:

I suggest you stop fooling with it and take the system into an Apple store with all the problem hardware and show them exactly what is happening and when it is happening.

Sounds more like you have a hardware problem that only Apple can fix by replacing the faulty part.

Hello LowLuster,

Thank you for your reply.

I would take it to an Apple Store if I have in my country (Lebanon). I got my Mac from the UK.

We have 3 Apple Premium or Authorsied Retailers, but not as knowledgable as Apple's own stores.

The thing is, if it is a hardware problem, why it happened JUST after the 10.9.1 update? And why with specific device and specific port not all?

Perhaps there is a firmware bug that requires an update to fix this specific USB port.

Apr 7, 2014 9:37 AM in response to AMDeeb

I recently found something interesting related to the Unifying receiver. If I plug the receiver directly into the USB (no other USB devices) it will not work. I just happen to have a standard USB extension cable laying around and plugged the receiver in using it. I was able to successfully use my mouse and keyboard for extended periods of time and the devices showed up in the System Preferences Logitech panel. Immediately unplug the extension cable and plug unifying receiver into the port directly and it doesn't work anymore.

I find it strange the extension cable made a difference. Just another layer of confusion.

Apr 17, 2014 11:54 AM in response to JamesLipinski

That has to do with the people who developed the USB 3.0 standard, they didn't realise that it interfers with RF transceivers. That's a big mistake.

Intel has published a paper about this issue (probably to promote its Thunderbolt technology):

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-in terference-paper.html

Notably, this issue didn't caught attention until June/July 2012 (when MacBooks with USB 3.0 were released)

13" MacBook Pro 2012 Not Recognising USB Devices on OSX 10.9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.