Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to embed raw latex into a mail message to display an equation?

Hi,

Is it possible to embed raw latex (or any other meta data format like HTML) into a mail message? I would really like to be able to send equations directly without converting them to PDF or GIF first.

Thanks,

Joe

MacBook Air, Mac OS 9.1.x, Mail meta data

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 1:06 PM

Only if your recipients would have an email client that could decode and display LaTEX code either from a text or rich text message, something I've never heard of, or they can save out the message and open it in an application that can decode such text. Most likely you'd have to send the LaTEX code as an attachment with instructions on how to open and display it. Unless your recipient is pretty sophisticated, converting the equation to an image is probably going to be much more practical.

Regards.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 1:06 PM in response to joe.linoff

Only if your recipients would have an email client that could decode and display LaTEX code either from a text or rich text message, something I've never heard of, or they can save out the message and open it in an application that can decode such text. Most likely you'd have to send the LaTEX code as an attachment with instructions on how to open and display it. Unless your recipient is pretty sophisticated, converting the equation to an image is probably going to be much more practical.

Regards.

Dec 20, 2013 12:27 PM in response to joe.linoff

I just borrowed a quadratic equation from the MathML Wikipedia site and grafted it into an HTML document. It imaged fine in Safari 7. It should be noted that neither the latest Google Chrome or FIrefox rendered the same content accurately.

Laying out your entire email message (including MathML) in HTML can be tedious. Once it is displayed in the browser, each use of the command+I will put the browser content in a new Mail compose window. So, you cannot add an equation to existing Mail composition. Select, copy and paste (or paste and match style) will not work either.

Depending on the importance you place on email equations, at one time, Design Science (MathType) claimed compatibility with Apple Mail (4.5) where you could input your equation in MathType and it could then be placed within the email. The mail recipient would not need a copy of MathType installed for this to work. MathType even allows you to key your equation in with LaTeX syntax to generate the equation.

You could check with them about functionality (or restrictions) with Mail 6 and 7 on OS X, as it might provide a more productive way to achieve your goals.

Is it possible to embed raw latex into a mail message to display an equation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.