Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to convert .aiff files (8 cds) to .aac format without duplicating

I ripped an 8=cd set to .aiff and added these to my iTunes library, but forgot how large it is on my iPad. Is there a way to create a "mirror" of the 8 cd set in .aac format? If I convert tunes per cd, I end up with duplicates in that folder (1., 1., 2., 2.). I'd ideally like one .aiff version of the set and one in .aac. I'd relabel them accordingly, and also sync accordingly.

If that's too hard I would be happy with just substittuting the .aiff files with .aac ones. Not sure that is possible.

I imagine I could copy the files to an x-drive, delete what i have in the iTunes folder, and then reimport as .aac. Perhaps that's easiest?

Thanks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.1), iPhone 5, iPad 3

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 1:10 PM

17 replies

Dec 19, 2013 3:12 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Not what I prefer to do. Ideally it would be to have one version of the 8 cds in AIFF and another labelled differently and in AAC.

The best I have found is here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1746558?answerId=8258383022#8258383022, ie to use smart playlists, convert everything to aac, keep both sets, but restrict which ones go onto the ipad (AAC there, not AIFF).

This is ok, but messy in one way: my music library shows one CD with duplicates of each track, each in a diff. sample rate. So, playing them via iTunes becomes more complicated. Not happy with this solution.

I don't have the original cds here at the office, only the files in AIFF. There seems to be no good way to import the files AS aac; when you add them, they come out in aiff.

THere must be a way so that you can listen to either format as you like all from one library.

Dec 19, 2013 10:02 PM in response to jinet

This is ok, but messy in one way: my music library shows one CD with duplicates of each track, each in a diff. sample rate. So, playing them via iTunes becomes more complicated. Not happy with this solution.

You could change the tags for the aiff versions of your songs - for example rename the "album" or the "sort album" tag in the "get Info" panel. If you append "AIFF" or "aac" to the album names, you will have appear the CDs as two separate albums in your library.

Dec 20, 2013 10:49 AM in response to jinet

Is there anyway to import files in AIFF and have them convert to AAC as they enter the music library (as in a cd import)?

.aiff fles will import as aiff, independent of the import settings for a CD, but you could convert them directly after importing, by selecting the imported files and using the command "File > Create new version > Create .aac version" (create aac version will be availabble, if you have set the CD import options to aac).

After converting you can delete the imported .aiff files.

Dec 20, 2013 10:56 AM in response to jinet

jinet wrote:

Is there anyway to import files in AIFF and have them convert to AAC as they enter the music library (as in a cd import)?

Yes, very easily.

Make sure your Import settings are set to AAC.

Then hold Option (Mac) or Shift (Windows)

Then File > Create new version > Convert AAC and select the songs you want to add to iTunes in AAC.

This adds to iTunes in AAC. The AIFF versions do not get added to iTunes.

Dec 20, 2013 12:05 PM in response to Chris CA

Works like a charm Chris. As you noted; one sets the Import Settings (found in iTunes Prefs > General> Import Using: AAC Encoder [in this scenario]).

Then by simply 1) selecting the file you wish & 2) Under File > Create New Version will either Create AAC Version or by using Option Key > Convert to AAC. Awesome!

Thanks for your guidance 🙂

mm~

Dec 20, 2013 1:17 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Glad you go it sorted.

Then by simply 1) selecting the file you wish & 2) Under File > Create New Version will either Create AAC Version or by using Option Key > Convert to AAC. Awesome!

To be clear, you don't first select something then hold Option.

Hold Option, then File > Create new version > Convert to AAC and then you select files.

When not holding Option you need to first select files already iTunes.

Sep 9, 2016 10:22 PM in response to Chris CA

Something has happened to iTunes since I last wrote. Now, when I import .aiff's into iTunes they no longer come tagged. They are simply numbered files with no information about anything.

I haven't been using iTunes for a while so I may be forgetting a step. Even if I convert to AAC with XLD before importing I get untagged files.

Is there a way to import from .aiff (or AAC) and have the songs get tagged (and organize themselves into albums)?

Thanks very much.

Sep 10, 2016 10:26 AM in response to jinet

jinet wrote:

Something has happened to iTunes since I last wrote. Now, when I import .aiff's into iTunes they no longer come tagged. They are simply numbered files with no information about anything.

It hasn’t changed. The files need to be tagged before you import them. iTunes won’t add anything (unless you RIP from CD)

Want to convert .aiff files (8 cds) to .aac format without duplicating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.