Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW 5.02 & Olympus E-M1 pink/purple cast images

Wanted to make this a new topic.

There seems to be an issure with the RAW support for E-M1 RAW files. Some of the imported files appear with a severe pink or purple cast. This happens in Aperture, iPhoto, & even Preview. So it must be system related to the RAW interpreter. It is only a few files, maybe 5% so far for me. I know that the files are fine because they open normally in OlympusViewer3 which I think doe not rely on the Mac OS RAW support.

If you look closely when these files are processed they will initially appear normal until the app/system processes them. I've carefully checked through the EXIF to find any thing in common or diffeent from other files. Nothing I can see. In fact in one case one file in a burst was bad while the others were fine.

My E-M! body has the 1.1 updated frmware version just released.

OSX 10.8.5, Aperture 3.4.5, iPhoto 9.4.3.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Aperture 3.4

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 1:53 PM

26 replies

Dec 19, 2013 1:55 PM in response to John Mather

As I noted in a different thread - Use Aperture's "submit feedback" to ensure Apple is aware of the issue. These are user-to-user forums and if you think this is something that Apple needs to fix, you should tell them. It would be more effective.

Given there are multiple threads here where it's mentioned, it's worth your submitting feedback. Do not assume things posted here will come to the attention of Apple.

Dec 20, 2013 1:36 AM in response to John Mather

I'm one with the pink issue, I can confirm the problem is related to the mobile app (all the pictures taken with the mobile app are pink) but also some other sequences not taken wuth the app are pink, so there must be a different setting involved, it may be something with long exposure: I have a sequence of architecture photos done before sunset and just one after sunset with long exposure, this last one is pink, not the ones before.

Dec 21, 2013 10:44 AM in response to John Mather

FYI, Apple responded to my feedback and requested more information & files. They acknowledged that they received them & are working on the issue.

I suggest sending more feedback in case your files might provide more info.

As far as I know none of my files were taken via the Olympus iOS app.

Note too that my E-M1 body was updated to firmware 1.1 somewhere in the middle of the SD card and the affected files were from the later shots. I can't tell if they were all after that update. Just wondering if Olympus might have changed something.

Dec 21, 2013 11:59 AM in response to John Mather

I've got a set of 38 images I took a few nights back at a local botanic gardens (lit up at night for the holidays). The only images with issues are exposures longer than about 0.5 seconds -- at least, the longest exposure without the color cast is 1/4 second, the shortest with it is 0.6 seconds.

All were taken using camera firmware 1.0, all with NR set to AUTO.

Dec 22, 2013 10:03 AM in response to r.s.geek

Most of mine were 0.5s or loneger. Except two: 1/6s & 1/8s. If I have time I might see if this holds true by testing.

My solution for now is to shoot RAW+jpeg so I'm sure I'll have something. Besides the jpegs from the E-M1 are excellent. Of course the jpegs might be affected. Now that would be interresting. Haven't seen anything to indicate its a problem.

Dec 22, 2013 11:38 PM in response to John Mather

They asked my raw files too, I think they are working for a fix, the only question is when it will be out, if it will come with the next raw update we may wait for some time.

my fix right now is shoot raw+jpeg and when I really need to edit the raw with pink issue I use Lr 5.3 or Olympus Viewer, but consider that Lr has a serious problem with noise on M1 files (very evident also at iso200).

RAW 5.02 & Olympus E-M1 pink/purple cast images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.