Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto crashes and deletes my pictures. help?

iPhoto crashed randomly while I was using it and deleted several thousand pictures from a few events. Some of the pictures I could redownload because they were still on my memory card, but it said that they were already on iphoto which they weren't. How can I get these pictures back and prevent this from happening again?

iPhoto '11

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 2:30 PM

6 replies

Dec 19, 2013 2:56 PM in response to hiynata

1 - Back up your iPhoto library,

Make a copy of the iPhoto library - and if you are always running backup software 9like Time Machine for example) you are 100% guarenteed to lose all of yoru photos sooner or later - if they hae any valuse to you you must start backing up ASAP

2 - Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys - Take your finger and press down on the option and the command keys and hold them down until the first aid window appears after you do the next step

3 - and launch iPhoto - click on the iPhoto icon in teh Dock

4 - rebuild your iPhoto library database - click on the option in teh first aid window to rebuild the database and do it

The version of iPhjoto can be found using the about iPhoto command under the iPhoto menu - the version of the OS using the about this Mac command under the Apple menu

LN

Dec 19, 2013 2:57 PM in response to hiynata

If you click on the word iPhoto in the upper left, then About iPhoto, you'll see what version you are running.

To repair or rebuild, (quit iPhoto if it's running) hold down the command and option keys while launching iPhoto. Then try Rebuild Thumbnails. If that doesn't work, try Repair Database.

Though there are rarely problems running these, I would recommend you have a recent backup just in case.

Dec 19, 2013 3:06 PM in response to hiynata

Make a copy of the iPhoto library - and if you are not always running backup software (like Time Machine for example) you are 100% guarenteed to lose all of your photos sooner or later - if they have any value to you you must start backing up ASAP

No exporting - for this purpose simply dupicate your iPhoto library - for a general backup up you need software like Time Machine (on every Mac) and and external disk drive much larger than you main drive

LN

iphoto crashes and deletes my pictures. help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.