Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iHome and iPod both 30 pin but not fitting

Hi there, I am hoping somebody can help me.

I was given an iHome iP87. 30 pin old connector.

Below is the iPad I have (released in 2006 so 30 pin old connector)

Apple iPod 5th Gen (with Video) 30 GB, 60 GB Specs

Identifiers: iPod with Video - MA002LL/A* - A1136

The site for the iP87 indicates that the two product should be compatible; however, the iPad bottom is square and the docking station on the iHome device is more oval in shape so, as a result, the two don't fit.

Is there a slot adapter of some sort that I need to purchase? I asked the site support and they said I needed the lightning adapter which is totally wrong as it's an old iPod.

If anyone could specifically tell me what I need that would be great.

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 2:44 AM

Since MA002LL/A indicates an iPod 5th Generation (released October 2005) - not an iPad or an iPod Classic, I think we'll assume you have the 5th generation iPod (with video). However, you haven't stated whether you have a 30GB or 60GB model - and there is a difference.

Perhaps the problem is you are trying to use the wrong dock adaptor in the iHome. In the image below of the iHome, notice the black area. That's the adaptor, which sits in the connector well. Each model of iPod has a different adaptor. Remove the adaptor that's in the iHome and fit the correct one.

User uploaded file

From what I can tell, the 30GB 5th generation iPod uses adaptor #9, while a 60GB 5th generation iPod uses adaptor #10.

Have a look at this Apple page for more information; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1380

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2013 2:44 AM in response to KMP4

Since MA002LL/A indicates an iPod 5th Generation (released October 2005) - not an iPad or an iPod Classic, I think we'll assume you have the 5th generation iPod (with video). However, you haven't stated whether you have a 30GB or 60GB model - and there is a difference.

Perhaps the problem is you are trying to use the wrong dock adaptor in the iHome. In the image below of the iHome, notice the black area. That's the adaptor, which sits in the connector well. Each model of iPod has a different adaptor. Remove the adaptor that's in the iHome and fit the correct one.

User uploaded file

From what I can tell, the 30GB 5th generation iPod uses adaptor #9, while a 60GB 5th generation iPod uses adaptor #10.

Have a look at this Apple page for more information; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1380

Dec 20, 2013 2:53 AM in response to the fiend

Thank you so much for your response, you have totally answered my question. Yes, i incorrectly typed in "iPad" when it is, of course, "iPod" - 60 GB.

I was not even aware the adapter in the connector well could be removed. I believe the one in there now is for the iPhone 3GS. I will remove it and order the correct one.

Thank you again so much for your help and All the best for the New Year.

iHome and iPod both 30 pin but not fitting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.