Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fcp 10.1 is running slow

I'm working on a multicam project. Nothing complicated, 3 cameras and every time I pause or try to move the playhead the little colored ball pops up for 5 to 10 seconds. It's running way slower than the 0.9 version. Anybody else having these issues?

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:01 PM

15 replies

Dec 20, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Dark1

Same for me, I can't wok at all. Very very slow. Scrolling and applying effects takes 20 seconds and more.

Not useable. Update needs to be repaired asap as I loose valuable time in my business.

I always see the color wheel spinning around. Worst performance I have ever seen with my 3,4 GHz i7.

All other programs working well.

Dec 20, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Dark1

UPDATE! I re-downloaded FCPX from the apple store. It seemed to help. I didn't have much time to test it but from what I could tell it was better. Problem was, the last project I was working on magically disappeared. Maybe the timeline was corrupt.

Another problem was it woudln't export. I had to re-add the mpeg destination from compressor and everything was good. I will do more tests Monday since I ran out of time.

Dec 23, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Dark1

ANOTHER UPDATE! I was still having problems this morning and I think I have narrowed it down. Since the new FCP 10.1 restructured all the files something went wrong. I had so many files in the new Libraries section I guess it just bogged FCP down. I ejected that particular Library and created a new one. It's running much better now. It's still a little sluggish on multi-cam but not near as bad as it was.

Dec 23, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Dark1

My actual project is so damned slow that I can't work at the timeline or in effects window.

Some older projects are working much better. Seems that the last update has damaged the most important work which is always the unfinished work for the clients - thank you, Final Cut!

It is no help, if new functions arrive and the system becomes unstable at the same time.

Dec 23, 2013 10:23 PM in response to Dark1

I'm having the same problem.

FCPX 10.1 is running slow and "beachballing" with a simple 3 camera multicam setup when using the J/K/L keys.

The multicam consists of 1 x Prores 422 & 2 x XDCAM EX media.

I've had to create Prores Proxy files (1st time ever since using FCPX) just to allow me to work with the multicam.

These were created in a brand new Library which consists of 24 media files total of up to 120 mins (often less).

Not a great first experience with FCPX 10.1...

Dec 31, 2013 2:11 PM in response to Plegilink

Hey guys, I have the solution for 2 major problems:

Slow performance of FCP 10.1.

I’ve upgraded the memory of my imac from 8Gb to 32gb. (I have an imac 11.1 2009 late, i7, 2.8Ghz, cpu socket 1156, these CPUs are discontinued).

I’ve purchase from Media Mark stores the following memory:

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=KVR1333D3S9/8G

I’ve bought 4 pcs of mem 8Gb for only 35,00 euros each, cheaper than the OWC e-shop that sales the 8Gb mem for 45,00 euros (59.90 US Dollars each).

The point is that the imac operates normally the system has ignored immediately the new memories. The best of all is that the FCP is running now faster than the old version 10.0. Seemed that the main reason for the slow performance was only the amount of memory.

Compressor 4 crashes.

Actually I’m not fan de-installations and re-installations of the applications, since I have gained bad experiences the previous years. I’ve just read the instructions of Compressor troubleshooting step by step http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3894 .

Then I download the ProApps codes of Quicktime from here http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1396 and then magically the compressor operates normally.

Check them out guys!!!

Jan 2, 2014 3:29 AM in response to JOSEPHFROMACHARNES

Hey Joesph, thumb nails are the culprit!

try switching your clips in the veiwer to film strip and also in the timeline so you dont see the audio waveforms. it helps for me a bit. also when you import your clips try to switch to film strip. I beleive ther is a bug with the thumbnails. I have the latest macbookpro and it behaves like if i was using a macbook. every app runs fast exept for FCP 10.1. dont see this problem with 10.09

Jan 20, 2014 6:56 PM in response to Dark1

It's been a nightmare since upgrading to Mavericks, and a deeper one since upgrading to FCP 10.1.

- Frequent crashes

- Compressor (4.1) Crashes on launch and takes FCP down with it.

- Editing is ASTONISHINGY slow. Lately every click takes 5 seconds to do anything. Just trimming a clip, I have to wait 5 seconds for my click to take, 5 more seconds for the trim to happen (with beach ball), and then 5 seconds after I click upstream in the time line to watch the edit before the cursor moves there, and then 5 MORE seconds after I hit the space bar before it plays!

- If I Type a word in the titling tool, each letter takes 5 seconds to appear.

Mine is a big tower mac, only a year old, with 16 GB of ram and 4 internal drives. It's the damdest thing. I've been struggling with this for weeks now. It's almost impossible to get my work done.

HELP

Jan 21, 2014 9:55 AM in response to Plegilink

Plegilink wrote:

It seems the only solution I could find was to re-install MAC OS 10.9 and each application WITHOUT doing a migration, so it's essentially like "starting from scratch"...

That's very useful information.

On some other FCPX forums, there have been many credible reports that people who have clean installations of Mavericks tend to have better outcomes with FCPX 10.1 than people who update over an existing OS.

Russ

fcp 10.1 is running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.