Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My password is suddenly not being accepted when I log in,

When I shut down my computer and then fired it up again I got a grey screen with the grey apple. Underneath that are two boxes, one saying 'name' and the other saying 'password'. Honestly I don't remember setting a name up and when I type in my only and accurate password the box shakes a little and rejects it. The only other things below those are the 'sleep, restart and shutdown' buttons. Does anyone know what happened?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:01 PM

1 reply

Dec 19, 2013 7:47 PM in response to precker27

precker27,

it sounds as though an administrative user on your MacBook Pro went into the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences, selected Login Options, and then chose the “Display login window as: Name and password” radio button, and checked the “Show the Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down buttons” checkbox.

Did anyone other than you know the password to your MacBook Pro’s administrative user? If your user is the administrative user, then someone might have changed your password without telling you.

My password is suddenly not being accepted when I log in,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.