Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Joining 10.8.5 with existing account to Active Directory domain

Hi-

I have a MacBook Pro that I am using as a test computer to figure out how to introduce the growing population of Mac's into our Active Directory environment in our small company. This comptuer is running OSX 10.8.5

There is a test account in AD that I will be using to connect to the windows domain. I am able to get the Laptop binded to AD, and have no problem authenticating, and seeing all the network resources required.

Here is the part that has me stumped:

Is there any way to take my existing "local" account that was configured when I began using my MBP without Active Directory and continue to use it, but logon to the laptop using my Active Directory account?

Perhaps copy all the settings and preferences from the local account ontop of the AD account on the laptop?

I have been using this laptop as my personal machine for many months and have quite a few customizations made to my deskop preferences, icon layouts, etc. This will be same case with all of the users that will soon be authenticating on the domain. We need this for centralized management of network shares, password policies, and number of other security features.

There is some limited information on the web, but nothing that I have tried really works, here's some of what i found and the difficulty that resulted.

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/37886-convert-mac-local-user-into-ac tive-directory-network-user

- The script mentioned in step 3 was not able to copy local account to the destination folder.

http://robotcloud.screenstepslive.com/s/2459/m/5322/l/112415-convert-local-accou nts-to-network-mobile-accounts

- The sudo mv /Users/USERNAME /Users/DIRUSERNAME command was not able to make the "DIRUSERNAME" directory, and did not have any effect if this directory already existed due to a prior logon.

I'm just looking for some help making it so that my users can retain their desktop layouts that they are used to, but logon to the domain using AD credentials.

Seems simple, but is pretty difficult to get done.

Thanks in advance for any help....

-Aaron

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), AD running in 2003 Native Mode

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 4:23 PM

There are no replies.

Joining 10.8.5 with existing account to Active Directory domain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.