Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I quit iMovie 10.0.1?, Why can't I quit iMovie 10.0.1?

First, let me say that the new iMovie 10.0.1 is utterly frustrating! It is so much less user friendly than iMovie 9. I liked having all the tools in my face with the old version. Now I have to spend an hour just finding things and learning how to do things all over again.

My concern is that I'm done editing for today and I want to quit the app. In version 9, all I had to do was quit and everything was automatically saved. Now, iMove 10 says "Are you sure you want to quit? Tasks that are currently in progress will not be completed." What tasks? I'm certain I did everything "by the book".

Also, I couldn't find the option to export to iDVD. Is this a thing of the past now? Do I have to save the file first and then drag the file to iDVD to burn? There seems to be extra steps involved now.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 7:15 PM

beatleboy wrote:

First, let me say that the new iMovie 10.0.1 is utterly frustrating! It is so much less user friendly than iMovie 9. I liked having all the tools in my face with the old version. Now I have to spend an hour just finding things and learning how to do things all over again.

You'll find you still have iMovie version 9 in your Applications folder. Why not keep using it?

My concern is that I'm done editing for today and I want to quit the app. In version 9, all I had to do was quit and everything was automatically saved. Now, iMove 10 says "Are you sure you want to quit? Tasks that are currently in progress will not be completed." What tasks? I'm certain I did everything "by the book".

iMoive is completing rendering or some other task that it does in the background. It does work in the background so that you can keep working and not have to wait for it.

Also, I couldn't find the option to export to iDVD. Is this a thing of the past now? Do I have to save the file first and then drag the file to iDVD to burn? There seems to be extra steps involved now.

Yes. It is a thing of the past as far as Apple is concerned.

Matt

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 7:15 PM in response to beatleboy

beatleboy wrote:

You'll find you still have iMovie version 9 in your Applications folder. Why not keep using it?

iMoive is completing rendering or some other task that it does in the background. It does work in the background so that you can keep working and not have to wait for it.

Yes. It is a thing of the past as far as Apple is concerned.

Matt

Dec 19, 2013 7:33 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Matthew, thank you for your reply. Your answers seem to justify my opinion that the older version was better. I did continue using iMovie 9 for a while after I upgraded to OS 10.9 & iMovie 10. Lately I'm finding that iMovie 9 seems to be unstable. Sections of my video edits run fast even though the audio is stable. Sometimes the video freezes while the audio keeps playing. That is undesirable since I'm trying to make a living with my videos. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy any of the more professional editing suites.

I guess I'll keep revisiting iMovie 10 every so often tonight until I can shut it down.

Dec 19, 2013 8:32 PM in response to beatleboy

Frankly, I'd stick with version 10.

Even after iMovie ingests you're video, there's a lot of processing it does. Espeically if it's doing image stabilzation etc. You can turn a lot of that off in the dialogue when you import.

Having to quit apps. is not the necessity it used to be.

What are the specs. of the Mac you are running?

I have mid-2010 iMac that I recently brought up to 8GB of RAM from 4 and it's been worth the relatively small investment.

Matt

Dec 19, 2013 9:39 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

Out of curiosity, I ignored the warning and shut down iMovie just to see what would happen. I noticed that a jpg that I inserted went black. I thought I did it correctly, but apparently not. I reinserted it and quit iMovie again. This time it quit without a problem.

Why can't I quit iMovie 10.0.1?, Why can't I quit iMovie 10.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.