Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bottom half of screen disappears in gmail

When using gmail on my ipad mini, the bottom half of the screen disappears. Doesn't seem to matter what I try, I cannot bring the full screen back. Can anyone help?

iPad, iOS 6.1.1

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 6:09 PM

19 replies

Dec 21, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Philbury1

It looks like I may have solved it but not from simply uninstalling and reinstalling - that didn't work.

Open Gmail and hold the power button down till the red power off strip appears.

Before letting go of the power button hold down the home button for a few seconds till the app closes down.

Mine is working properly now but the problem may of course reappear!

Dec 21, 2013 11:27 AM in response to sassasadie

Credit where due - it was my son who looked up how to clear the cache in an app. That means getting rid of the accululated junk in the vernacular.

In Android it's more obvious how to do it. I would have tried that but there were no obvious options without intense googling. Not user friendly Apple. Things go wrong and the tools to fix should be available not hidden.

Dec 21, 2013 1:43 PM in response to Philbury1

Yes, "Help" within Apple is practically nonexistent. I liked the help offered for Windows, no matter what other problems/deficiencies MS has. I paid for the Apple Care Plan and could call in, but am reluctant to do so for some reason.

So, do you think it is a good idea to do this periodically with apps or only if some problem occurs?

Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind this fix, and kudos to your son.

Jan 22, 2014 6:45 AM in response to sassasadie

I too have this problem, and I have spent - no wasted - a lot of time trying to resolve it. I've posted about the issue in Google's gmail app group with zero responses. It's not a Gmail app issue though as it happens in Netflix too, but just not as often.

If anyone in this tread has the Netflix app try this: when in the home screen (where your queue is and all the other recommendations) click the search bar and type in a movie. In the case I just retested I put in a search for the movie Dogville. This movie isn't available for screening so I get a list of movies that are similar but are available for streaming. At this point the Netflix app's bottom half goes black, and no matter how many screens you click through it doesn't come back.

Just like in Gmail, the Netflix app has to be shut down manually (double tap the home button and swipe up to kill the app). With Netflix it is tolerable because it happens only when search, but in Gmail it happens after every knew message is read and I return to the inbox. It makes Gmail unusable for me.

This started after upgrading to iOS 7 but I believe it wasn't until the app manufacturers updated their apps after to be more iOS 7 compatible. I'm on a first gen iPad Mini by the way.

Bottom half of screen disappears in gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.