Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 iMac periodically wakes spontaneously. Make it stop?

For no reason that I can figure out my 2008 iMac (running 10.9.1, but it did this before) will wake from sleep, do something (not sure what), and go back to sleep.

Why is it doing this, and how do I disable it? Or is there any reason why I wouldn't want to disable it?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 6:22 PM

In System Preferences -> Energy Saver, try to uncheck Wake for network access.

2 replies

Dec 19, 2013 10:11 PM in response to theosib

Yes, do Tlix's thing. And while you're at it, un-check "Start up automatically after a power failure." I can't see why anyone would want that to happen unless they're running their iMac as a web server.

But it's ALSO possible/likely that a Bluetooth device (your wireless keyboard or mouse) is waking it up. Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth > Advanced... and un-check the box beside "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

Note: this DOES mean that you won't be able to wake your computer up from sleep by clicking the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard. To wake your computer up from sleep, just single-press (as in, DON'T hold) the power button on the back of your iMac. It'll wake right up.

Good luck!

2008 iMac periodically wakes spontaneously. Make it stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.