Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 5g keeps connecting and disconnecting while charging

I've had my ipod touch 5th gen for about a year now. Last month it began doing this weird connecting and disconnecting (you know the green battery screen coming on and off) while I try to charge it. Ironically, it didn't start doing this until my warranty ran out which was also last month. Go figure, right? Anyway, whenever I try to charge it it will connect and disconnect. If I accidentally nudge or bump it it will connect and disconnect and then I have nudge it again for it to connect again. At first I thought it was my original lightning cable that came with it. The cord was bent in the top by the end (the part that connects into the ipod) from frequent use. I also noticed it was a bit flimsier so I purchased one of the heavy duty Belkin lightning cables (also available on here from Apple) because the original cord is a lot thinner and flimsier. I didn't seem to have a problem with the Belkin cord until a couple days ago. Now it's connecting and disconnecting again with even the slightest bump. I'm wondering if somehow the connecter inside the ipod itself is bad? Or if it's possibly dirty and that would make it act weird? Has anyone else been having this kind of problem? I don't live any where near an Apple store so it's kind of impossible for me to take it in and have them take a look at it and like I said I have no warranty on it now.

More specs:

iPod Touch 5th gen, 64gb, iOS6

iPod touch, Windows Vista

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 7:16 PM

13 replies

Dec 19, 2013 7:34 PM in response to overdue

A lot of people having the same issue, dust, lint, corrosion in port all possible and reported. I see you replaced the cable, and your sure the charger it's self is OK? Would be something else to check. You could try cleaning the iPod's port, do you have any canned air? With the iPod completely cool down keep the can up right stick the tip right up to the port and give it a quick 1 second blast. You can do this about 2 maybe 3 times before the can starts getting cold, stop before this occurs very cold air can damage the port and circuits by freezing them. OR try cleaning the port with a small round paint brush, like the ones that come with a child's water color set. Use a dry brush and attempt to clear the port VERY VERY carefully! Some have used a toothpick, but I would not do this, you may damage the port and create a bigger problem! But NEVER EVER NEVER use a metal pin. Good luck.

Dec 19, 2013 7:55 PM in response to JEM24

It seems to connect and disconnect while connected to my computer as well. And while connected to a brand new Jackery battery. It's gotta be the port. I can't see how it can't be. I'll try your cleaning suggestions. I shined a flashlight in there a couple minutes ago after posting and it does look a bit dirty inside the port. I'll see if I can fix it that way. Let's hope so! Otherwise, I think I'll skip on buying an iPhone with a lightning port.

Let me just point out that in all my times of being an iPod user from the 5th generation "Video" all the way up to the iPod Touch 4th generation I had never once had a problem with the old 30 pin port. I get this new iPod with this newfangled lightning port and it acts up after a year. LMAO. I should go back to using my old iPod Video. Still works like new. Sigh.

Dec 19, 2013 8:18 PM in response to overdue

Just thought about it. Seems I remember seeing it somewhere in here where someone did a reset and the problem stopped. You won't hurt or lose anything, it's worth a try. Otherwise if all else fails... it's a call to the Apple Genius Bar, may be a crack in the port or a damaged circuit. I'm out of ideas.

Dec 19, 2013 9:36 PM in response to JEM24

Tried the canned air. No change. How would resetting the settings fix that? I don't see anything that would make a difference in that. There's reset network, keyboard dictionary, home screen layout, and location & privacy. I don't see how any of that would fix the problem. 😕

Okay I've noticed that if I hold it straight up it disconnects. If I tilt it flat in the palm of my hand it reconnects. Of course at the moment it's now sitting flat on the desk and it just disconnected again.

Dec 19, 2013 10:54 PM in response to overdue

Yah, about that reset, it was about a network thing-- memory.😊 Your down to a physical cleaning. Be careful not to bend or break any of the pins, try to limit your your motion to straight in and straight out-- going side to side you run the risk of bending or breaking one. When you looked inside the port, did all pins appear the same and no gaps?

Did any of the pins appear green or black? If so you could try trimming a Q-tip so it fits in the port. dip the Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and blot it almost dry. With the iPod off run the Q-tip straight in and out a few times, to clean the pins. Do this until the Q-tip comes out clean, after the alcohol dries see if it charges correctly.

When you talked about the shorting out when changing positions sure sounds like a faulty cord. Can you isolate the end so it doesn't move and move just the cord, can you create the short? It's possible the new cord has failed.

Dec 30, 2013 7:50 PM in response to david_w_rosenberger

Possible. Since you've tried all the physical things, (different cable, different charger, allowing the battery to power down then recharge and clearing / cleaning the port ) learned a couple of things since the last post... things to try, a simple reset, seems people have had some success. Will not hurt anything, worth a try, costs you nothing. Just hold both the power and home buttons down together approximately 15 seconds until the Apple logo appears then release both buttons. If that doesn't do it some have suggested running a DFU restore or Restore from backup, not sure why it works but some have stated it did. Just make sure you backup all your stuff before doing this! If the problem persists contact Apple about have your iPod checked over and possibly replaced, a refurbished one is around 1/2 a new one. If under warranty you may not have to pay for anything. That's all I got, Good luck.

Oct 27, 2015 6:49 PM in response to overdue

My iPod Touch 5g is 3 years old now. Extended warranty is expired. I use it in my car by plugging it in to the usb port and listening to audio books. Plug it in and then play, pause, ff & rw using my cars audio controls. Very sweet. Don't wanna lose that feature. I'm in my car 4-6 hours a day. Started disconnecting a while ago. Now it won't even connect on my computer. Atm the battery is completely dead and I can't charge it. Tried all of the above. New cable, reset, restore etc all to no avail. I seriously suspect the female portion of the lightning port is at fault which would make it a hardware problem. Can that even be replaced or repaired? Planned obsolescence? Poor engineering?

iPod Touch 5g keeps connecting and disconnecting while charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.