Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is a start up disk and why is it full?

"start up disk is full" I have been deleting and zipping and moving files like a madwoman! I cleared my safari cache and my history (jic) what else do i do? i cant update!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 11:57 PM

You need to clean up serious space. Zipping a text file and saving 1 MB won't cut it. Zipping multimedia saves no space at all since they are already compressed. Clearing a Safari cache frees up less than 1% of the space you need. You need to free up many GB. Get rid of movies, photos, music. Put them on a backup drive and delete the ones on your internal drive.

If your hard drive gets too full it will crash.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2013 11:57 PM in response to ihaveasweetname

You need to clean up serious space. Zipping a text file and saving 1 MB won't cut it. Zipping multimedia saves no space at all since they are already compressed. Clearing a Safari cache frees up less than 1% of the space you need. You need to free up many GB. Get rid of movies, photos, music. Put them on a backup drive and delete the ones on your internal drive.

If your hard drive gets too full it will crash.

Dec 21, 2013 6:31 AM in response to sanjampet

sanjampet wrote:

You can also try going to applications>utilities>disk utility, select (highlight) your volume from the left (default name is Macintosh HD, unless you remaned it) click the Erase tab, and click Erase Free Space button.

I don't think that will help over simply emptying the trash as earlier suggested. It will simply take longer.

what is a start up disk and why is it full?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.