Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why glissando in some soft instruments' notes?

I notice that when I use my MIDI controller to trigger some notes in included soft instruments that the note has glissando, it slides up into the correct pitch, sometimes down into it. I have noticed this with a couple of the guitar and bass instruments. For example the classical and steel string guitars. It only does it on a few instruments. How can this be stopped? I just want a straight note.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMovie

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 6:37 AM

enuenu wrote:

I notice that when I use my MIDI controller to trigger some notes in included soft instruments that the note has glissando, it slides up into the correct pitch, sometimes down into it.

i believe you need to turn down the keyboard sensitivity:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#keyboardsensitivitygbv10

This FAQ entry offers a Minute GarageBand video tutorial

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2013 6:37 AM in response to enuenu

enuenu wrote:

I notice that when I use my MIDI controller to trigger some notes in included soft instruments that the note has glissando, it slides up into the correct pitch, sometimes down into it.

i believe you need to turn down the keyboard sensitivity:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html#keyboardsensitivitygbv10

This FAQ entry offers a Minute GarageBand video tutorial

(Let the page FULLY load. The link to your answer is at the top of your screen)

Dec 20, 2013 10:40 AM in response to enuenu

I have noticed this with a couple of the guitar and bass instruments. For example the classical and steel string guitars.

Are these instrumenst in question Jam Pack instruments? And is your midi controller changing the velocity of the note? In the Jam Packs the velocity is controlling the articulation. The highest velocity can be causing slides up or down, or trills; for example:

• Motown bass, Fretless bass, Liverpool bass: Highest velocity adds slide down
  • Session bass: Higher velocities increase bite and loudness. Lowest velocity plays stopped note.
  • Subby Bass: Velocity adds ring. Highest velocity adds slide down from note. Notes below E0 play slides, dives, and pick sound.
  • Latin Baby Bass: Highest velocity adds slide up to note.
  • Russian Balalaika: Highest velocity adds slide up to note.
  • Chinese Erhu Violin: Highest velocity adds trill to note.
  • Chinese Guzheng Zither: Highest velocity adds bend up then down.
  • Spanish Flamenco Guitar: Highest velocity adds slide up to note.
  • Turkish Oud Lute: Highest velocity adds wavering to note.
  • Turkish Saz Lute: Highest velocity adds short trill to note.
  • Bluegrass Banjo, Atlantis Banjo: Highest velocity adds slides up to note.
  • Bluesy Acoustic: Highest velocity has slides; different velocity levels change the attack and string vibrato.
  • Dobro Slide, Swamp Dobro: Higher velocities increase vibrato; highest velocity add slides.
  • Eighties Electric, Eighties Electric Clean: Highest velocity plays harmonics.
  • Irish Bouzouki: Highest velocity adds slide up to note.
  • Indian Shehnai Oboe: Velocity adds a slight wavering to notes.
  • Highest velocity adds a short trill to notes.

-- Léonie

Why glissando in some soft instruments' notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.