Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband '11 effects (ex: "Chorus") are missing and I cannot select them... UNLESS they are a default effect in the selected instrument.

Context: I recently bought a new computer, used migration assisant to migrate over all my old apps and files and settings, and download and updated the new garageband (2013 version). I noticed that the defult garageband effects (the built in ones, not the audio units) were missing (and i hear this is the way it's supposted to be). But I want to keep using those, so I decided I would just keep on using Garageband 2011.

But in the 2011 version, the effects are missing too. I cannot select them as new effects. I CAN however edit existing effects IF that effect is included by default in that particular insturment. Look at these two pictures for an example:

http://imgur.com/a/eRLl3

In the first picture you can see that I can select "chorus" while in this organ insturment, since it's included by default. I can even change different presets within chorus. I CANNOT however, select any NEW effects to ad to the organ from GarageBand's defaults. As you can see in the pictures, when I click on effects where the chorus is, only chorus shows. When I click on an empty slot to ad a completely NEW effect, no default effects show up at all, not even chorus, even though I clearly can use in the other slot.

I tried trashing my preferences.

Any help please? I've been working on some of this music for almost 2 years, and I'd hate to be stuck because of a technical error.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), GarageBand 2011

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 11:48 AM

3 replies

Dec 20, 2013 12:24 PM in response to AzraelNoir

😕 In my GarageBand '11 installation on Mavericks, the GarageBand effects are all still available.

See for example for a Rock organ:

User uploaded file

Are the effects properly installed in your sytem library? Check the folder

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings/

If not, try to restore them from an older backup. Does your Time Machine backup go back far enough in time?

Dec 23, 2013 8:18 PM in response to léonie

Everything seemed to be installed. I think GarageBand moved the location of the folders, however, and was not able to figure out what the correct location was.

I was able to fix the issue only by obtaining an old copy of GarageBand on disk and reinstalling the insturments package. This is unfortunate for anyone else who might have this problem because the installer is not available online via any legal means.

Garageband '11 effects (ex: "Chorus") are missing and I cannot select them... UNLESS they are a default effect in the selected instrument.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.