Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get ITunes to install on my D drive

I have a Dell laptop that has been a great computer. I did not oreder it, but rather purchased it in a store (hence my problem). The hard drive is partitioned into two drives: C Drive for the operating system and D Drive for all the data. I understand why they did it, even though I don't wholey buy into its need...... Anyway, to the ITunes problem. About a year or so ago, I ran out of room on my C Drive. I noticed that lots of my programs were installed there. I deleted many programs and then re-installed and directed them to my D Drive. One of those programs was ITunes. However, it repeatedly shows on the C Drive. I am not talking about my library, as I have it on an external hard drive and know how to point to it. We have several devices (2-IPhones, 3-IPods and 2-IPads). Over a period of time the C Drive just gets overloaded. I have had to completely delete ITunes twice and then re-install it to clear out enough space to run the computer. VERY, VERY, VERY frustrating.....

I am hoping I am just missing something. I have read that others have this problem too, but I have yet to see any solid answers on this. Other than re-partitioning, and I am nervous about that. t least to do it myself.

Has anybody come up with anything new on this topic?

Cheers,

J

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 1:45 PM

iTunes itself can only be installed on the boot drive. If you've already moved your iTunes Media folder to another volume, then other than deleting old backup files for your iOS devices - where they're located will depend on your version of Windows - there's nothing else I can think of that you can do to reduce iTunes' footprint on your C: drive.

Regards.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Jason Fiscalini

iTunes itself can only be installed on the boot drive. If you've already moved your iTunes Media folder to another volume, then other than deleting old backup files for your iOS devices - where they're located will depend on your version of Windows - there's nothing else I can think of that you can do to reduce iTunes' footprint on your C: drive.

Regards.

Dec 20, 2013 2:59 PM in response to Jason Fiscalini

Relocate iOS device backups

Assuming you're running Windows Vista or later you can use the following steps:

1. Open a command prompt by hitting the start button and typing CMD<Enter> in the search box that opens up.
  2. To move the current backup folder from C: to D: type in this command and press <Enter>
    Move "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"
    Where <User> is your Windows user name.
  3. To make iTunes look for the data in the new location type in this command and press <Enter>
    MkLink /J "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Backup"

If your target drive has a different letter or you already have a folder called "Backup" then edit "D:\Backup" accordingly in both commands.

If you're still running Windows XP you can use Junction (cmd line tool) or NTFSLink (shell ext). In both cases you move the existing folder to a new location, create an empty folder where the old one used to be, then use the tools to get the operating system to link the two together and silently redirect any file operation on the old location through to the new one.

Note that while this method works for iOS device backups it cannot be used to redirect sections of the media library.

tt2

Feb 6, 2014 12:48 PM in response to turingtest2

I have Windows 7 Pro. I follwed your instructions and modified them to change the drive letters. Below is what I used and the responses received in the CMD prompt.

Move "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "E:\Apple\Backup"

Response: "Access is denied".

MkLink /J "C:\Users\jwm\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "E:\Apple\Backup"

Response: "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" Please note that an empty Backup folder did exist, but even after I deleted it I got the same response. I even tried this with a different folder name that never existed and I got the same response.

Any thoughts?

Feb 6, 2014 1:25 PM in response to JimmyMcC

In the first one you've shown <USER> instead of the text you would have replaced it with, which I assume is jwm.

The second command only makes sense if the first one has been actioned, or implemented in using Windows Explorer to cut and paste the folder in a similar fashion.

I believe variations in Windows builds and iTunes versions might possibly cause the folder of interest to be in Local rather than Roaming.

tt2

Feb 6, 2014 1:37 PM in response to turingtest2

I replaced the <USER> with my actual user name so that was not the issue.

The Roaming folder is correct as it is where the backups are currently being stored.

Not sure what you mean by "The second command only makes sense if the first one has been actioned, or implemented in using Windows Explorer to cut and paste the folder in a similar fashion."

Feb 6, 2014 1:41 PM in response to JimmyMcC

If the MOVE didn't happen, you can't do the MKLINK. You can try cutting and pasting the folder by hand using Windows Explorer as an alternative to the command line instruction. You might get a more meaningful message if Windows still thinks you should not move the folder, or you may be able to confirm that you really want it to be done.

tt2

Feb 6, 2014 3:37 PM in response to JimmyMcC

Aha, I see it now! You can't move a folder from one folder to a non-existent folder. You need to create E:\Apple before you can move Backup inside it. Doesn't matter whether you use the command line or Explorer the same applies. You don't need all the other nested layers (unless you want them).

This should work:

MD E:\Apple

Move "C:\Users\jwm\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "E:\Apple\Backup"

MkLink /J "C:\Users\jwm\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup" "E:\Apple\Backup"

tt2

How can I get ITunes to install on my D drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.