Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes never find album artwork?

I'm getting sick of this; the idiotic iTunes recognises the album, & all the artists playing pn each track etc, but since I got this Mac it NEVER finds any album artwork. What is it's problem? Is there an app I can download that will get the artwork, like I have to on my Samsung tablet? Though this is time-consuming & really should not be necessary. I used to have it always set to 'automatically download album artwork', or something similar, but I cannot find this any more in the Preferences window.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 1:16 PM

9 replies

Oct 24, 2017 2:44 AM in response to michaelfromperth

Not very helpful, especially as it is over 4 years since the last post. Despite my own thoughts about being locked into the Apple eco system, itunes remains the best for initially importing music if you plan on using iphone or other Apple mobile devices, it doesn't auto delete anything as far as I've found. Everything is auto backed up. Jriver doesn't do that and it's certainly not as easy to get music synced to your iphone with Jriver.

I do use a different player for play back though (not Jriver) which is a world better than iTunes and JRiver (for me anyway)

Dec 20, 2013 1:22 PM in response to AliWonder

Your Samsung tablet (which CAN'T run iTunes) uses a different source (Google) for getting artwork. iTunes will only find artwork that's available in the iTunes Store.

iTunes artwork retrieval is less than satisfactory in my book, so I always add artwork manually. I don't rely on the store, because if it does find art, it's usually not the album the song came from.

Dec 20, 2013 1:54 PM in response to C F McBlob

Thanks; but I still don't understand; if it has identified the album & the artist correctly, presumably this means it is an album that is available in the iTunes store?

Otherwise, if it is able to find the album name, all the tracks, & the artist name from somewhere else, but it cannot find the album cover, this is worse than 'less than satisfactory' - it's completely rubbish! It must be getting this information from somewhere else, so why can't it also find the album cover as well..?..!

Please can you tell me how to add artwork manually? I always click on 'Get album artwork' after the album is copied into my library, but absolutely nothing happens; it doesn't even appear to be searching for anything; it just does nothing.

Dec 20, 2013 6:35 PM in response to AliWonder

iTunes DOESN'T use the iTunes store to get info from a CD you're importing. It's ALWAYS used Gracenote's CDDB service for that. The CDDB has info for almost EVERY commercial CD ever produced as well as billions of "user submitted" CDs. That DOESN'T necessarily mean that the iTunes store will have the album for sale or even have any info on it. Remember, it wasn't till November 2010 that iTunes even had anything by the Beatles, yet the app could retrieve info for Bealtes CDs long before that.

Clicking "Get album artwork" searches the iTunes store. No good if iTunes doesn't carry the album. Here are some basic (but old) instructions for adding artwork manually: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/adding-album-cover-art-or-images-in-itunes .html

Dec 20, 2013 7:54 PM in response to AliWonder

Under iTunes, Preferences, select the Store tab and select "Automatically download album artwork". Are you signed into the iTunes Store? It only works when you're signed in, and it should give you an error message if you are not connected or it can't find it. I use it first and it finds about 60% of the artwork (varies depending on your music), for the rest I search Google Images (or any other search engine's image results) for the correct artwork, then select all songs of the album, then under Menu, Edit, select Get Info, and drag the artwork into the small artwork window under Info. This way all artwork will also be embedded into the file and will show up when you transfer it to any other device or location. Apple-fetched artwork is stored in the album art folder and not in the actual music file.

Dec 21, 2013 5:22 AM in response to Timbuktu

Thanks both. I do always have "Automatically download album artwork" ticked, and I am always signed in to the Store (because the only option it gives me is 'sign out'). I remember it used to show me 'querying Gracenote database' before, but now it does not show this; I'm starting to think it's broken / there is a fault, as it does not seem to do anything to find the artwork. I will check the link above for adding artwork manually; it all seems a lot of bother though...!

I don't quite understand the advice above for dragging the artwork into the box in the 'get info' tab; drag it from where? Presumably I have to download it to my computer first & then drag it into the box?

I now also have an even more serious issue; the Mac Finder window does not even see any new albums I add; so I cannot transfer them to my tablet or phone which is where I mostly listen to music; I am a bit desperate & don't know what to do; I just added two albums & they are simply not anywhere in the Finder lists; as if they are not on the computer at all:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5686284

Dec 21, 2013 6:58 AM in response to AliWonder

NB: I just tried downloading the album artwork; clicking 'Get Info'; ticking the artwork box & dragging the image into the box; it shows the image is there, then when I close it off it is no longer there. Nothing seems to work! Plus downloading artwork from a search engine is not ideal; it has to be exactly the right dimensions or it doesn't even fit the image box properly. It would be better if something actually worked to find the correct album cover!

Dec 22, 2013 7:24 PM in response to AliWonder

Question: What format are you using to import music? WAV file format does not retain any artwork, either use mp3, aac, or any uncompressed format under Import Settings.

You can drag any jpg image file over the art work window and you will see the mouse arrow turn into a PLUS sign when you can drop it, and the image should show up upon successful embedding. The image file can be from an actual jpg file saved on your computer or directly from the web page if the site allows you to copy it (in Google images I click on the desired image which will be placed in a pop up window and I can drag and drop it into the art work window). My preferred pixel size is 400x400 which seems to be a good compromise in quality and file size. Check the individual track info afterwards to see if the artwork was successfully embedded. It also should show up in any iTunes view afterwards.

If this doesn't work you might have have some other stuff going on that prevents the successful display of artwork in iTunes. Is all your music organized inside the default iTunes folder under iTunes Media? Do you see the Album Artwork folder in that folder as well? What are your Advanced iTunes settimngs under Preferences?

I also suggest to uncheck the automatic artwork option and instead do it manually by right-clicking on one of the newly imported album tracks and selecting "get album artwork". Also, copy your iTunes plist preference file (under username/Library/Preferences folder) to your desktop and restart iTunes to generate a new one (your preferences will be reset, if it doesn't resolve your issue return the new plist file iwith the old one).

Why does iTunes never find album artwork?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.