Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Activation for Deceased Family Member

I recently received an iPad 2 that was formerly in the possession of a now deceased family member. The device worked prior to upgrading iOS. After iOS 7 was installed, the device required activation tied to a pre-existing Apple ID and "Find My Device" profile. All related email addresses have been cancelled making reset difficult, and although it's a family member, passwords were not recorded or shared by the previous owner. To answer the security questions, I need to know the unmasked Apple ID. For example, Apple gives me ******@me.com, I need to know the actual Apple ID.

What is the best process to reactivate this iPad 2? Can I provide a copy of the death certificate, current Apple ID, and serial number to move it from it's previously registered account and add it to my Apple profile? Any experience with this issue or suggestions other than trying to convince me that without the email and password, it's a paperweight. Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 7

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 2:07 PM

1 reply

iPad Activation for Deceased Family Member

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.