Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home folder displays different amount of used space than actual contents

Hey guys,

This is probably a silly question. I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro that I've been using on and off lately (as I have a late 2009 27" iMac Desktop) and was wondering about the calculated size of my home folder vs what the the size of its contents are. Size never really occured to me as an issue with my iMac (2 TB HDD) but I find myself more concerned with the disk space on my 750 GB HDD on my Macbook Pro.

When I get the info on my Home folder, it displays that ~200 GB is being used up by the contents of this folder. Going into the folder itself and getting each folder's invididual sizes (Photos, Documents, Downloads, etc), it all adds up closer to ~100 GB.

I was wondering if there is a hidden set of folders somewhere in the Home folder that I am unaware of? I know Microsoft uses a hidden App Data folder that generally takes up a lot of space, but I can't seem to find what is eating up 100 GB worth of data on my Home folder.

Any advice, suggestions or other information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 2:36 PM

Did you unhide the user library and count its content?

3 replies

Dec 20, 2013 2:34 PM in response to Csound1

I have gotten the info from the master Library folder (Macintosh HD/Library) and it still only equates to ~10 GB. I've run a terminal command in order to see all hidden folders (defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles True) and restarted finder in order to see if there were any hidden folders in my Home folder but did not come across any.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Edit:

It looks like I wasn't punching in the write terminal lines to reveal the hidden folders. The hidden Library folder in my Home Folder added up to the missing used disk space. Thanks!

Message was edited by: SomebytheSea

Home folder displays different amount of used space than actual contents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.