Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Mavericks

A couple years ago, I bought a Mac with the worst virus I've ever encountered, it was called Lion. No problem though, just used target disc mode and installed Apple's last functional OS, Snow Leopard. It seems that they've even destroyed target disc mode. Does anyone have instructions on how to get Snow Leopard on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina display that came pre-installed with Mavericks?

Any help on ridding this computer of Mavericks will be greatly appreciated.

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 6:49 PM

29 replies

Dec 20, 2013 7:57 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy- Mac said that about Lion as well but Snow Leopard could still be installed using target disc. What if I removed the HD and did a full disc wipe, using external components/programs of course, and removed any trace of Mavericks? Basically, do you know the reason Snow Leopard can't be installed; software or hardware?

Dec 20, 2013 8:03 PM in response to davebodia

That was only true of iMacs that originally came with Snow Leopard pre-installed, but were now coming with Lion right after it was released. But not true of the next release of hardware.

If new hardware requires the pre-installed OS in order to run, then you can't install an earlier version. Not any different than the fact that new PCs can't run XP.

You can't use Snow Leopard because it lacks the 64-bit drivers needed and does not install a 64-bit kernel. As the hardware changes it requires new software that can support the new hardware. You can't then use earlier versions that do not support the new hardware.

Dec 21, 2013 11:39 AM in response to davebodia

Just to add to what has already been said, if you truly feel so strongly about any version of Mac OS X after Snow Leopard, you should probably just switch to Windows. Why waste your time on a system you seem to dislike so much?

Alternately, of course, you could ask some questions here to try to solve whatever problems you have with the more recent versions of Mac OS X.

In any case, though, running Snow Leopard on a modern Mac just ain't going to happen, unless you do it in virtualization.

Dec 21, 2013 11:53 AM in response to davebodia

davebodia wrote:

A couple years ago, I bought a Mac with the worst virus I've ever encountered, it was called Lion. No problem though, just used target disc mode and installed Apple's last functional OS, Snow Leopard. It seems that they've even destroyed target disc mode. Does anyone have instructions on how to get Snow Leopard on a brand new MacBook Pro Retina display that came pre-installed with Mavericks?

Any help on ridding this computer of Mavericks will be greatly appreciated.

<Edited by Host>

Why would you buy another new one for then, without checking that Mavericks suited your needs after Lion did not? I see your post was already edited by the host. So I am dubious as to the validity of anything you say anyway. The last functional OSX for Many millions of users was/is Mavericks.

Pete

Dec 21, 2013 11:53 AM in response to davebodia

Dave, it has nothing to do with wiping a disk: it has to do with the hardware of your machine. SL was a very good and ripe software, I agree, but it will simply not run, how many hacks you make.

I must say that Mavericks for me is the same step forward as SL was in earlier days (I am not saying that about Lion).

So if you have issues let's try and solve them.

Take the remark about virtualization from Thomas with a large grain of salt: the only SL that will run (a bit) in virtualization is SL Server (and it is expensive). I am sure that Thomas meant it as sarcasm.

Lex

Dec 21, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Lexiepex

Just to be clear Snow Leopard Server is the only version that Apple says is legal to run in a VM. As you will find Snow Leopard Client will also run in a VM, but it is illegal to do so. Now, this I'm not sure of but I think Apple removed that restriction with the release of Mountain Lion permitting you to run a single instance of Snow Leopard in a VM. But don't quote me on this one. I'm not sure.

Dec 21, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy, you are right. What I wanted to say is "don't do it". It will not run well. Client still needs a lot of hacks, to make it run a little. But my post was really meant to dig the message that it is better to solve the problems theOP has than to let him think that he should go back to SL (and I am sure you back that).

Have a nice Xmas.

Lex

Dec 22, 2013 5:39 AM in response to davebodia

Melophage- I bought a Mac Pro in late August 2011 (Apple Store U.S.), pre-installed with Lion. I'm now in Asia and I had the iShop install Snow Leopard; worked perfectly on my 64-bit system (it was stolen or this wouldn't even be an issue). This go-around seems to be a problem however.

As to the VM's, I used VMWare Fusion before but I don't know, can it boot directly to a VM or does it have to be run from within? I've never tried. I may give one of those OS's a try, either/or, maybe it would be good to have them both installed.

Petermac77- "Why would you buy another new one for then, without checking that Mavericks suited your needs after Lion did not?"

Because installing SL over Lion is nothing but a minor hassle. I figured Mavericks was the same way. Apple said you can't install SL over Lion but you could. Why would this OS be any different unless it was intentionally made so we have no choice? Also, Apple Hardware is tops.

As to figuring out problems... where to begin. Maybe tomorrow I'll start with Finder & Preview issues. Thanks for all the feedback.

Remove Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.