Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

500 GB Junk Files on Boot Hard Drive Hidden and can't access

Can someone tell me how to find and trash these hidden files. I tried third party software and they don't show up nor do they show up on a spotlight search including invisible files . I have a 2T Hard drive and it is filled up with about 500GB of hidden files having roughly the following name

"Volumes/Mirrors (45) From My Passport/Nikon Probably All Dups From My Passport on 120823/120612 Temporary hold for transferred from #02/Autosave Vault/Lesson 12 Project/Lesson 12 Project_10-06-08_1730"

Above is a single line from ChronoSync. They, of course, are not the same name past "autosaveVault" and there are about 1700 of them. Every single one has is same up to "AutosaveVault". I found them by backing up the hard drive with ChronoSync and going into the log. Fortunately they were almost at the very end of the 24 plus hour backup. And, the first stuff that was backed up was actually known data and the discrepancy did not occur until the know data was virtually all backed up.

I have a disk drive labled Mirrors (45) that I erase but before that they seemed to exist on, but I really don't think it was 500GB. I don't know if I erased "Mirror (45)" by reoformatting or just trashing the files. I never have used the word autosave Vault either. I recognize the file names and folders beyond Autosave.

I have not been able to view, let alone delete these files on the boot drive which has a little over 1.5T of "data" thats shown as actually exisitng in the file command.

I am pretty certain this is related to the Mavericks upgrade but not positive. I do know I have another backup drive with mountain Lion that was last backedup about a week before what has been a huge diaster with Mavericks, and there may be less then 50GB "hidden" on it but its hard to tell.

The storage report from "about this Mac" is 40GB shy of 48GB show as free that is free space should be 88GB if you believe "about this Mac"

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 8:14 PM

Get free OmniDiskSweeper and run as root. Open Terminal and copy/paste and hit return. Give your admin pword when requested, which won't appear as you type it in. Hit return again.

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

See also http://pondini.org/OSX/DiskSpace.html

Note, be very careful when running as root, since this will give you unfettered access to all critical system files.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2013 8:14 PM in response to ThomasDwyer

Get free OmniDiskSweeper and run as root. Open Terminal and copy/paste and hit return. Give your admin pword when requested, which won't appear as you type it in. Hit return again.

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

See also http://pondini.org/OSX/DiskSpace.html

Note, be very careful when running as root, since this will give you unfettered access to all critical system files.

Jan 5, 2014 8:07 AM in response to WZZZ

I absolutey won't use terminal, but WZZZ get 10 points because the http://pondini.org/OSX/DiskSpace.html helped find me a program "What Size" and from it I fiugre it out. The bottom line is: Turns out there is a hidden foloder called Volumes that can be accesed via "Go To The Folder" under GO in the finder and the command is: /Volumes and those files there were invisible suddently appear.

500 GB Junk Files on Boot Hard Drive Hidden and can't access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.