Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to FCP X 10.1 all preview clips don't play correctly and stutter.

Machine:

Mac Pro 2009

SSD + 3 HDDs

Mavericks 10.9.1

3 x Nvida GT120 graphics cards

20 GB RAM

Problem:

After upgrading the project, all the clips that I preview that are not in the timeline have a horrible stuttering problem. The sound works fine, but the video is completely unusable. I copied the project to my new MacBook Pro 15" 16GB 512SSD and everything works fine.

The only difference was I didn't install FxFactory on the MacBook. I rippped FxFactory off the the Mac Pro and still the same problem. If I go into the library and find the source clip and play through Quicktime everything plays fine.

Any suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 11:24 PM

5 replies

Dec 21, 2013 12:15 AM in response to SpyderZ

If I select,"Show Views on Second Display" everything works fine previewing clips.

I actually have six monitors and 4 of the 6 display FinalCut playback fine. For some reason the middle to monitors which on a single graphics card having stuttering issues. I'm gong to switch them up with another card.

Very odd, considering all the cards are identical.

Dec 21, 2013 1:04 AM in response to SpyderZ

I re-arranged video cards, it makes no difference. If I have FCP X 10.1 on any other screen, than my main screen it works fine. As soon as I drag it to the main screen the preview of clips malfunctions.

I made a second user account and got the same result.

I tried creating a new Library and imported test footage and the same thing happens.

I also have Motion and Compressor installed.

I really don't have time for a format/re-install.

Any suggestions on possibly nuking everything video related and re-installing?

This is the craziest non-sensical issue I've ever encountered on a Mac.

Dec 21, 2013 6:02 PM in response to SpyderZ

I have restored Mavericks back to 10.9 and upgraded FCP X, Motion, and Compressor to the latest versions and everything seems to be working fine now.

I'm going to run a full backup before upgrading Mavericks this next time.

One thing i've noticed is that this state is before I installed DivX. Maybe that might have been the cause.

After upgrading to FCP X 10.1 all preview clips don't play correctly and stutter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.