Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Heck Power Button of Macbook Pro

I hate the default behavior of the power button. It puts my Mac to sleep WITHOUT confirmation!

The power button is so near to the Delete key and the F12 key. I often miss-touch the power button when I didn't intend to.

Sometimes I have to use a Windows PC. I used to clear the character after the cursor with the Del key. I brought this habbit to Macbook Pro and miss-hitted the power button. So, the result is, my Mac's screen turned black before I even had a change to understand what was happening.

The evil power button of Macbook Pro!

Are there any guys have the same concern with me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 1:15 AM

Yes, the new operation of the power button works this way

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1q9dmc/mavericks_power_key_behavior/cdaou xw

Answer courtesy of: Tuttle

workaround still not present

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5869?viewlocale=en_US

Peace

😊

8 replies

Dec 24, 2013 8:52 AM in response to yingxu

Same issue here, I am a production manager for a live events audio/video company and we all just upgraded to retina mbp's recently. We have had issues with people going to turn the audio up and hitting the power button accidentally at the same time during presentations and the screen going blank. Wish there was at least an option to turn the functionality back to the "What do you want to do" menu when you hit the power button.

Horrible issue.

Dec 26, 2013 10:25 AM in response to yingxu

I agree. I accidentally press the power button when pressing backspace and it interupts music streaming and shuts down. They should set a 1.5s delay for it to go to sleep meaning no reaction on a shorter press and everything should be fine. An iPhone/iPad atleast does not shut down the connection when you shut down the screen so it is not behaving the same on all platforms.

Engineers at its worst.. My old macbook pro with the power button not within the keyboard was a much better solution. Great example on when minimalism turns bad..

Dec 26, 2013 5:16 PM in response to Jason @ Velocity Productions

Because the power button locates in the keyboard and appears as a normal key as other ordinary keys.

For your case, the Vol UP key is so near to the power key.

But I think the worst case is when cleaning the keyboard: when you clean it with the Mac sleep, you may wake it up with any keys; when you clean it with the Mac running, you may put it to sleep with the power key; when you clean it with the Mac off, you may also turn it on because you cannot remove the battery ...

The Heck Power Button of Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.