Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get original iChat/Messages visual effects back after downloading and uninstalling ManyCam?

I downloaded Manycam to mess around with while video chatting in messages but it didnt turn out well. I stated a chat to try it out but all it showed in the effects menu were 2 squares, original (no filter), and manycam. The rest of the original effects were gone but they still exist in Photo Booth. I uninstalled Manycam, restarted comp, and theyre still not showing up. Can anyone give me some suggestions to troubleshoot this issue?

im running on OS X Mavericks 10.9.1

RAPLPH, i found your fix from 2011 (below) but i cant seem to find any of those files, i feel like im on the right track though...User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 6:57 AM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2013 2:52 PM in response to ECS18

Hi,

I had forgotten about ManyCam.

I only have two such items listed.

One is for iTunes and the other is for QuartzComposer itself.

There appear to be none for Messages (as the picture post says iChat).

Lets check some other things first:-

In Hard Drive/System/Library/Compositions do you have only the Apple ones ?

Technically Installs to be used by all Users should not be put in here but ChatFX and iChatFX do.

this folder should also have the .mov items for the Roller Coaster, Sunset, Yosemite and others.

It should also have a DefaultOrder.plist that list the originals.

You can use QuickLook to read this.

In Hard Drive/Library/Compositions do you have any Effects/Quartz (.qtz) ?

You may possibly have items in ~/Library/Compositions (if you installed them for the User only)

To access this Library you need to hold down the ALT key whilst using the Finder > Go menu

I will have to sleep on this to suggest more.

User uploaded file
10:51 pm Sunday; December 22, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 30, 2013 11:19 AM in response to ECS18

Hi,

If those are "Extra" and were installed by the ManyCam app, then yes.

I would move them to the Desktop in the first instance just to be sure you have the right ones and that they then don't appear in the Messages/iChat app or Photo Booth.

User uploaded file
7:19 pm Monday; December 30, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How can I get original iChat/Messages visual effects back after downloading and uninstalling ManyCam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.