Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you clear "top hits"

I'd like to clear my "Top Hits" in Safari (not top sites but Top Hits). As you start typing in the address/ search bar in Safari suggestions (ie Top Hits) start to come up. I would like to celar this. I've tired a number of things, but to no avail.

Mac Mail-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2014 2:42 PM

Bermudapilot,

I just ran into the same issue. But it was only one Top Hit I wanted to delete. What I eventually did was go to the page that I wanted to delete from top hits. Then I went to Show History in the History menu. I highlighted the item I wanted to delete, right clicked, and hit "delete."

Now that URL never autocompletes when I start typing it. It seems this will work for any URL you want to delete from your Top Hits/URL autocomplete. I imagine that deleting your whole history will delete all autocompleted URLs, but I don't want to test that becaues I want most of my autocompletes.

Best,

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2014 2:42 PM in response to Bermudapilot

Bermudapilot,

I just ran into the same issue. But it was only one Top Hit I wanted to delete. What I eventually did was go to the page that I wanted to delete from top hits. Then I went to Show History in the History menu. I highlighted the item I wanted to delete, right clicked, and hit "delete."

Now that URL never autocompletes when I start typing it. It seems this will work for any URL you want to delete from your Top Hits/URL autocomplete. I imagine that deleting your whole history will delete all autocompleted URLs, but I don't want to test that becaues I want most of my autocompletes.

Best,

Aug 14, 2017 10:37 PM in response to judysings

I'm sorry Judy but i dont see that option in Safari 10.0.3 (11602.4.8.0.1) in El Capitan (I don't update as i dont like the new features in Sierra nor do i like updating Safari... last time the removed 'zoom text only' which made my wok since then ten times harder.. no more updates for me)

User uploaded file

I would like to add, that if we search in google or have google as search bar assistant, url search assistant, then the url bar will always have remembered suggestions, because google keep those cookies and plists on its own server when you log in, so you cant get rid of it in google all those horrible drop down suggestion lists, and the bookmarks too. Anyway Judy, i think your answer is deprecated as the current Safari has less options, and the option you speak of is no longer accessible in the current preference panes. I see no 'Smart Search Field' visible in this preference pane.

Dec 23, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Bermudapilot

Hi Bermudapilot,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

Apple - Support - Mac Apps - Safari

http://www.apple.com/support/mac-apps/safari/

If you click on the Help menu in the Safari application on your Mac, and search for "Privacy pane of Safari preferences" you will find the following:

Do not preload Top Hit in the background

Prevents Safari from preloading the website that best matches your entry in the address and search field. Preloading a website makes it appear faster if you select it from the search suggestions list.

Prevent search engine from providing suggestions

Keep Safari from sending your search words to search engines.

As you enter search words in the Safari address and search field, Safari can send them to the search engine so it can suggest common searches like yours. If you want to keep your search words private, select this option.

These settings can be changed in the Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Smart Search Field section.

I hope this information helps ....

Happy Holidays!

- Judy

Sep 23, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Bermudapilot

Hi Bermudapilot,

I found the solution for this. But be careful when doing the following.

1. Quit Safari

2. Go to ~/Library/Safari/ in finder.

3. Find "History.plist" file and edit it using textedit or text wrangler. (you may want to backup this file in case you messed it up)

4. Search in the file for the URL (for e.g. yoursearch.com) or the text you are entering in the "top hits".

5. Identify the parent "<dict> .... http://yoursearch.com ..... </dict>" and delete it from the file.

6. Find any other instances of the same and delete the entire "<dict>" tags.

6. Start Safari and enjoy. "yoursearch.com" will no longer be there. 🙂

Regards,

Ravi Rajendra.

Apr 18, 2017 12:39 PM in response to Bermudapilot

The top hits for some reason is sort of hidden when it comes to erasing or clearing. I have found a way to get rid of your certain "top hit". In the safari tabs. Bookmarks > edit bookmarks > then now you look for your top hit , right click and delete. And to make sure, clear your history one last time to test it out. Everything else failed me but this did the trick for that pesty top hit.

Dec 24, 2013 3:02 AM in response to judysings

Thanks for that Judysings, however even after going in to "Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Smart Search Field" section and ticking the two boxes, I am still getting Top Hits when typing in the adddress bar of Safari.

My hope is to clear the previous top hits, so the ones I want to use come up at the very top, not all the junk that is coming up.

Dec 25, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Bermudapilot

Hi Bermudapilot,

Did you reset Safari and restart the computer after making those changes?

This information is from the Safari Help menu:

Reset Safari

Reset Safari to prevent other users of your computer from seeing information about how you used Safari. You can also reset to try to solve problems with opening webpages.

WARNING: When you reset Safari, it deletes the browsing history it stored for you, but doesn’t delete the browsing history stored by some plug-ins you may have installed.

Choose Safari > Reset Safari.

Deselect items you don’t want to reset:

Clear history: Clears the list of webpages you viewed, empties caches, removes website icons, and clears the list of recent searches. Also clears managed website settings for all plug-ins with websites set to Block Always.

Website icons, also called favicons, appear in the search and address field and other places.

You see your recent searches by clicking the magnifying glass at the left end of the search and address field when it’s empty.

Reset Top Sites: Clears changes you made to Top Sites, such as adding or pinning sites. If you also clear your history, your Top Sites page reverts to the webpage previews displayed when you first installed Safari.

Reset all location warnings: Removes information that websites saved about your location.

Reset all website notification warnings: Removes the record of websites that you allowed or denied permission to post Notification Center alerts. This option is shown in OS X v10.8 or later.

Remove all website data: Removes cookies, tracking information, and other data that websites stored on your computer. Also clears all managed website settings for plug-ins.

Clear the Downloads window: Clears the list of files you downloaded in Safari. The files remain on your computer until you delete them.

Close all Safari windows: Closes all windows thereby preventing another user from viewing webpages you visited.

Click Reset.

- Judy

How do you clear "top hits"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.