Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red LED near processor - Mac Pro 2009 Quad Core 2.66Ghz

Hi folks,

I recently bought a second hand Quad Core Mac Pro 2.66Ghz, and within 30 minutes of booting it up it died. When I try and boot up the graphics card fan goes into overdrive, the hard drive stutters and that's about it. Upon opening the case I noticed a red LED light near the heatsink, and there's also a red LED near the front of the case - photos are attached.

I've trawled the forums here and it seems as though this isn't an isolated case, but I'm yet to find an answer. Can anyone please help?

Thanks a lot,

Dan

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2009 Quad Core 2.66Ghz

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:55 AM

sure-could be the heatsinks, power supply, video card/ Ram/ something clogged with tons of dust or not working correctly

I probably will get in trouble for this but here's a pdf which could help you more than I ever could

http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/macpro_early2009.pdf

John b

3 replies

Apr 19, 2015 11:02 AM in response to danb71

I know this is an old thread but it's the first hit on google and this might be helpfull for others:

I had the same issue, red light next to processor when powering on, no chime or video or anything.

After removing the cpu cooler I discovered one of the pins holding down the north/south? bridge heatsink was gone and the heatsink was not in contact with the chip. I fixed it by replacing the missing pin with a simple nut and bolt. Put the whole thing back together and it booted without problems.

Red LED near processor - Mac Pro 2009 Quad Core 2.66Ghz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.