Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2006 iMac will not power on without removing PRAM battery??

Okay, so I have a late 2006 Intel based iMac, same model as here: http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel_20%22_EMC_2105_and_2118

It failed, so I replaced the RAM, amongst other things. I have the front bezel off, so I have access to thr front of the logic board underneath the screen. If I unplug the computer, remove the watch battery (the PRAM battery I believe?) and leave it for 15 seconds, then replace the battery, and plug it back in, it powers up, and boots fine.

Shut the iMac down, and try to switch back on, nothing.

Repeat the battery andf power removal procedure, and it works!

Any ideas whay this is? It's impracticle to do this each time, as I want to put the screen bezel back on!

Posted on Dec 21, 2013 9:10 AM

3 replies

Dec 21, 2013 3:08 PM in response to BrettJamesLive

I should mention, a RESTART, works fine. It's when I SHUT DOWN only that the problem occurs.

Looking at the 3 diagnostic LED's on the logic board, light 1 comes on and stays on when plugged in (power to the board), light 2 statys on when restarting, and light 3 comes on when fully 'on'. When shutting down, ight 1 only remains on, so it's like it can't start up from 'OFF'.

Dec 21, 2013 9:56 AM in response to BrettJamesLive

Have you tried resetting the PRAM / NVRAM...?

I would replace the battery with a new one, then reset both the SMC and PRAM / NVRAM.

see > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

and >About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Late 2006 iMac will not power on without removing PRAM battery??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.